VST 3 Support - Steinberg discontinue VST 2

Captain Untz
Captain Untz Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Komplete General

Hi,

Steinberg are ramping up their campaign to get rid of VST 2, we have less than 2 years remaining until it will no longer be supported in Cubase:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-2-discontinued/761383

What are NI's plans for making their instrument plugins support VST 3 and Apple Silicon?

Using myself as an example, I use Battery 4 extensively, and others NI synths like Absynth, FM8 and Massive as well as Reaktor-based synths to a lesser extent. I'm starting to think I should not use these plugins in new projects, if there is not a clear support path. I don't want to end up in a situation where I can't take fixes and new features from Steinberg / Apple.

I't be happy to buy a new version of Komplete if it contained M1/VST-3 versions of all my NI instrument plugins. OTOH if this doesn't come available soon, I'll be forced to stop using NI products.

Is there some roadmap or public commitment from NI for people who share these concerns, to help put the mind at ease?

Tagged:

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,116 Expert

A lot of NI's plug-ins are already available as VST3 - here's a list:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016989137-VST3-Compatibility-of-Native-Instruments-Plug-ins

It simply takes time to convert VST2 to VST3, but NI is steadily working on it.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 403 Pro

From another topic:

Matt_NI BerlinAdministrator Posts: 748 admin

June 27

Some news!

The team shared with us that we are moving ahead with VST3 and are actively implementing VST3 support for Maschine and Komplete Kontrol. The decision was made to implement VST3 support for all third party VST3 plugins. The timeline is still under consideration but it seems we’re aiming for a public release in the next 3 - 4 months (with enough time for a beta for those on centercode). Native compatibility for Apple Silicon will come along with it.

We’ll keep you updated whenever we hear more about the progress.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited July 2022

Make it shorter.

VST3 and Apple Silicon (M1/M2) native compatibility should come in 3-4 months (end of September/October).

It may be coincidence, but around that time is to be expected also Komplete 14, if NI will keep on 2 year's release pattern.....

• Captain Untz
    Captain Untz Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

This is a helpful update, thank you. I'll keep an eye out in the autumn...