Using Maschine on Linux?

snacktothefuture
snacktothefuture Member Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2022 in Maschine

Normally, companies want to make money. You obviously don't.

I just read here https://blog.native-instruments.com/the-making-of-maschine-plus/ that the Maschine+ uses it's own custom Linux operating system.

That's weird. You built the Maschine+ on Linux, yet you don't even bother to support it?

I know, I know... the typical "Linux users make up a tiny percentage bla bla"

Have you considered that more people would be using Linux, if they could only use their Machine Mikro MK3 etc. product on it? You already build your products on Linux, so it seems like putting out a driver or getting proper integration with BitWig should be on the top of your to-do list.

Why are you like this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

I don't see moving a lot of products to Linux to build a market as being preferable to fixing bugs, improving GUIs, M1, VST3, retiring legacy products...

The whole 'Field of Dreams' argument costs a lot of money, and then would Linux users pay full price?

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited July 2022

No matter what hardcore linux fanboys may say: Linux (and its various distros) is just not good for powering end-user PCs. For workstations and servers, yes. That's the reality, has been for years now. The small percentage of users simply doesn't justify the amount of work a company has to do in order to support it.

As long as Linux' standing doesn't improve significantly, little will change.

• snacktothefuture

Fixing bugs is nice, but they already have several working products. If they began supporting them on Linux, that would mean several new income streams. They do not make any money fixing bugs for products they have already sold, but they could earn a lot of money by broadening their target audience.

Plus, the Maschine+ already runs on Linux, so it's a no-brainer. This is why I'm seriously wondering what's up?

• snacktothefuture

I've been running primarily on Linux for close to 2 decades, granted I'm tech savvy, but I've also helped dozens of other people with transitioning. We're talking people from all sorts of backgrounds and even my grandma.

I don't know exactly which distribution you last tried or when that was, but things have changed. For quite a lot of people, running Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin) is a game-changer and way easier than Windows. It even brings old laptops back to life and there's no need for antivirus :P

Plus, Linux simply utilized hardware better once it's actually supported: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-9uFJRpKg You could never build stuff like this on Windows. Impossible.

"The small percentage of users doesn't justify the amount of work a company has to do in order to support it."

They built the Machine+ on Linux... doesn't sound like much work.

• snacktothefuture

They don't make money selling bugs for products they've already sold.

They already have several working products and by adding Linux support they'd open themselves up to entirely new income streams.

It's a no-brainer. Of course Linux users would pay the price... they'd have to. It's the same product.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

And embed linux like yocto made for embed hardware boards isn’t “just another linux”.

If a computer brand with enough market share made a dedicated distro maybe it will justify that investment even if that distro ended running just on ARM based machines… but there isn’t any computer brand doing that for linux or windows because these are thought to be open and/or (retro)compatible meanwhile these “hypothetical” thight integrated hw+sw (os) could be thought different.

It’s a shame these computers doesn’t exist since lots of professional users will get them even a higher prices.

M+ embedded hardware linux approach wasn’t bad idea over paper but due delay between its inception, development, (cancelation) and release… it become a little obsolete before final launch.

Luckly there weren’t these hypothetical machines based on that specific for audio/video OS and thight integration at the market and even more luckly these didn’t announced a Silicon transition into more thight integration of the chips used in them. That would mean M+ had born extra obsolete and in less than 3 years user base will be asking day after day to support these “dream computers” and its dedicated distro OS.

I can’t imagine nothing better than fanless HP or MS surface with dedicated touch controls and up to 10 hours of battery… a thing like that will be nuts!

:rolleyes:

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

Jeeez... I wonder what other choices could be made???

😆

• suamor
    suamor Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    edited November 2022

That's not true. Support for products is a big money income. Half of my income is based on support for older platforms.

Building Linux-based machines is very common nowadays. I have seen several cases where these machines do not have any Linux support. I also see that developers have been using Windows solely as platform for development.

Even MS company is using Linux and support some of their products on it. Many companies are using Linux based servers while their clients are Windows / Mac only.

On the positive side there are companies offering laptops and desktops for Windows, Linux or no operating system. It's your choice what you will use.

• be3
    be3 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    I don't think it would take more than a day to set up a github account, and place your driver code there, and let linux enthusuasts do all the work for you and also update the code, reduce bugs, which would increase portability for updates back to windows and macs.

You could experiment with the maschine mk3, and see how that is taken in the multi- operating system community.

peace and love
  • be3
    be3 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    That said it would make a lot of users happy, and give them the feel good factor for native instruments, which would create a following, and sell a few more maschines along the way, maybe even getting a mk4 to fruition, a bit like what happened with the deluge, could interest users to buy your other kit as well.

It's a real downer when your mac packs up, or when windows breaks, and the only thing you can do is to install linux, as something stable, in your life.

Thanks for hearing me.