I am going from iMac Intel to an M1 Max Mac Studio with a 4 TB SSD -

OutofWAC
OutofWAC Member Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

I notice it is recommended that sound libraries reside on an external drive...Is it OK to put my Kontakt libraries on that 4TB system drive?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rich_NI
    Rich_NI Customer Care Posts: 173 mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @OutofWAC!

Yes, absolutely. We only generally recommend installing to an external drive due to the size of the content libraries. In your case, with such a large internal drive, this won't be an issue!

Answers

• Rich_NI
    Rich_NI Customer Care Posts: 173 mod
    Answer ✓

Hi @OutofWAC!

Yes, absolutely. We only generally recommend installing to an external drive due to the size of the content libraries. In your case, with such a large internal drive, this won't be an issue!

• OutofWAC
    OutofWAC Member Posts: 3 Member

Thanks Rich,

Can I copy the library folders from my old hard drive to my new one & then just install all the apps from Native Access & locate the libraries or do I need to re-download everything? I want this install to be a clean as possible...

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Yes you can do that.

• Alexbg
    Alexbg Member Posts: 3 Member

hallo rich,

I‘m confused, i heard it will cause problems if you have os, daw, plugins, library all on the same internal ssd? Is it true or not?

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro

It used to be the case with old spinners (mechanical hard drives), due to their low speed. Some people still keep everything on external or second internal drive, mostly out of habit. With SSDs, there’s generally no need for this anymore.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

I have 4TB SSD in a M1Pro MacBook Pro.... All my libraries on the internal.

It is SO handy and performance is fantastic.

Let's rephrase that as performance is 'tastic, cause I never hear the fans!