Mac laptop gets super hot while I run Traktor 3

Dear community, I'm concerned about how how my Mac gets while I run Traktor 3. The software causes it to heat up and vent within a minute. When I attach the S8 controller, it gets even hotter!

I would very much appreciate any tips you have for me to reduce CPU use.

I hope you're all very well in the weird weird time.

:)

Lana

Tagged:

Best Answers

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Traktor tends to fire up most Intel processors on the Mac, even my best i7 MBP would get toasty. Besides turning off any other services you may not need and definitely closing other apps especially web browsers, DAW, media players will help lighten the load.

Even at its worst I haven't found anything to turn off in Traktor that will help the CPU load much, but you could start by unloading some of the effects from the "Preloaded Effects" section in Preferences.

Do you have "Import Music Folders at Startup" or "Show Consistency Check Report on Startup" turned on? If your collection is fairly static then those are best left off.

Also do a quick check to make sure Multi-Core Processor Support is turned on.

You may also want to post your Mac specs and OS for other users to chime in, and confirm you have the latest public releases of Traktor and the S8 driver and firmware.

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    Answer ✓

In case not mentioned, using a cooling stand for notebook highly recommended. I have one that is a little slanted but has two fans underneath, which plug into usb port or hub for power. Really helps.

Answers

• TeLLy
    Answer ✓

Traktor tends to fire up most Intel processors on the Mac, even my best i7 MBP would get toasty. Besides turning off any other services you may not need and definitely closing other apps especially web browsers, DAW, media players will help lighten the load.

Even at its worst I haven't found anything to turn off in Traktor that will help the CPU load much, but you could start by unloading some of the effects from the "Preloaded Effects" section in Preferences.

Do you have "Import Music Folders at Startup" or "Show Consistency Check Report on Startup" turned on? If your collection is fairly static then those are best left off.

Also do a quick check to make sure Multi-Core Processor Support is turned on.

You may also want to post your Mac specs and OS for other users to chime in, and confirm you have the latest public releases of Traktor and the S8 driver and firmware.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,622 mod

It's say it is normal for Intel to get super hot, especially if you have 13inch macbook.

• Lana de Jager
    Lana de Jager Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Thanks TeLLY - I checked those points you mentioned.

Specs are:

macbook Pro 13-inch 2020

1.4 GHz Quad-Core processer

16GB memory

• Lana de Jager

You guys might then also be able to tell me what the best buffer size and latency for my laptop is, please? I'm using an S8 kontroller with Traktor Pro 3. and yes, it has been updated to the most recent version. I haven't seen an update for the S8 for a long time though...

• TeLLy

With those specs I can't see you having issues with a very low latency. Start off with the slider all the way to the left and play around for 15 minutes. If you can get through without crackles or noise then you're good. If you do get any odd audio behaviour move the slider forward a tick. Repeat until you get solid audio performance.

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    Answer ✓

In case not mentioned, using a cooling stand for notebook highly recommended. I have one that is a little slanted but has two fans underneath, which plug into usb port or hub for power. Really helps.

• TeLLy

+1 FOR THIS! Not one of those cooling mats with the gel inside but yes actual fans, and have some space under the lappy for circulation.

Also SMC Fancontrol was a boon when my i7 was my workhorse - I set it to start up at a lower temp than stock, which made a lot of noise but did keep me on average 10C cooler. It's cheaper to replace a fan than a logic board, after all.

eidac

• Lana de Jager

Thanks Gents - I got myself a cooling mat with fans and it can act as a stand at the same time, so you've really helped. Stay well xxx