Adding hardware to Traktor

Coprine
Coprine Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi all,

new Traktor user here.

I use Traktor with my Z2 and a Stanton turntable to scratch as a dj in a band, like dj Lethal in Limp Bizkit.

Now I want to add some NI hardware but I don’t know what to buy, I want some device to loop some acapella long shots over the beats and mash things up in a live situation. So I can think of hitting a pad on a Maschine would do the trick.

would this be a good idea or do you have different opinions? And should it be a mk3 or a Micro or the Studio or the Jam? I’m not looking at a producers tool, only would need it in a live situation and do some prepping at home.

Hope you can help me out.

Tagged:

Comments

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro

Learn to use remix decks. Learn them inside out. Learn all the commands. THEN, grab a nice pad (midi) controller. Maschine is overkill.

An F1 would be ideal, if it didn’t have clicky pads instead of soft performance pads.

Sounds like you’d benefit from using an Akai MPD of some description. You’d have to create your own mapping - but it’s worth it if you’re aiming for a Limp Bizkit type live experience.

• Coprine

Ok Patch, thanks for the answer.

I have a Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 here collecting dust through the years, would this one do the MIDI trick?

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro
    edited June 2022

That sounds like super overkill ;)

the cheapest pad based midi controller like a launchpad would work. Or indeed an NI F1

example: https://youtu.be/Z056IwBRw-k

• Coprine

Ok, that looks indeed interesting.

can I use the two channels of the Z2? That on one channel I plug in the turntable with scratch dvs and on the other channel the sound of that Launchpad via software/usb.

• Patch

Yes - but the launchpad will not actually make sounds. It’ll control a Deck in Traktor, that you’ll probably have set as a Remix Deck.

• Coprine

Ok, I understand the no sound from the launchpad, what launchpad would you recommend? Or will any do with the mapping from the YT video?

• Patch

I wouldn’t get a launch pad. I’d get an mpd with big, soft performance pads.

• Coprine
    edited June 2022

Is that because the launchpad is more Ableton orientated? And an Akai mpd more generic?

and I think that the bigger pads are more appropriate for what I want to do with it, I.e. hitting acapella loops

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro

Pad size is purely about your feel. Do you want to “smash” the pads or just press them, finger drumming vs triggering. It’s very personal.

you can use any launchpad to program it to control remix decks and samples.

• Coprine

So i spend some hours trying to figure it out but maybe i'm not that smart cause i didn't succeed.

What i would like is a 4-deck lay out and on one deck i want to send a click track to a Mackie Mix 5 where only the drummer can hear the click track through his headphones. Om the Mackie he can control the volume of this click track. I, as a DJ, set the BPM for this click track that i would like to sync to the other decks.

Then on another deck i want to do some scracthes with my Reloop RP-8000 MK2.

Then, on a third deck, i want to fire some acapella loops or one shots, these acapellas are controlled by the Endo mapping for Maschine Studio which i have.

Are these 3 combinations possible within Traktor Pro3 /Kontrol Z2 /Machine Studio ? i own a Macbook Air with a M1 processor.

It's some routing thing i guess.

I also have a Focusrite 8i6 that i don't use as well as a Toraiz SP-16.