KOMPLETE KONTROL+ Keyboard (dreaming out loud)

Simchris
Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor
edited June 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi, folks

in case you needed somebody to poke you for more to do. Would LOVE a Komplete+ Keyboard with built in HDD/SSD to run standalone my personally made Kontakt libraries on the go without a PC.

The AKAI MPC keyboard kinda same idea, and about the price for something like that, except for KONTAKT, would be marvy. I have hunch it would be easier to migrate Machine+ to keyboard, but make it easier to blow in custom sample files without as much pain, and basically "work better."

Some of us old enough to have used the old RECEPTOR rack mount and that was perfect aside from not having the Komplete Kontrol interface.

Happy trails folks! :)

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    edited June 2022

Thanks for sharing your idea @Simchris!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I guess, it would be doable. KK has more space inside than Maschine MK3, so the computer could be stronger.

What I do is that I do not switch PC off and so keyboard is instantly available. I know, it is not enviromentaly friendly, but it takes just 10 W, if not playing. 80 Wp FV panel would cover its yearly consumption....

• Tigersharc
    Tigersharc Member Posts: 59 Helper

I think NI will address this area. Right now wouldn't be a good time because it would seem like a copy cat move. But a KKS61+ would be awesome. The addition of Kontakt, Massive/Massive +, and EFX. The ability to use expansions all in one spot. Hopefully there is the addition of things that the MPC Key doesn't have such as SD card, upgradable RAM and storage. These are just a few things I've noticed from demo and overview videos. At the end of the day I would be a buying customer if the specs make sense.

• Kubrak

I guess, some kind of modular thing might be good. One could plug in, faders, pads, ... ,computer and configure keyboard to his needs...

• Simchris

Really just a Komplete Kontrol keyboard with computer inside and audio i/o to load the samples and send them to the outputs. Kinda what they started with Maschine+ but done a step further to make loading Kontakt libs super simple from smart media to store internally.

Not holding my breath, and I have numerous Macs, PCs, keyboards, three KK keyboards, blah blah; so not like I will die without it. But sometimes would be nice to just load up my sounds with headphones without having to do the warm up the power backups/conditioners, boot PC, launch KK keyboard, load samples, blah blah.

• Kubrak

I understand, that is why I do not switch off my PC. I sit and may instantly play...

I just sort of extended your vision of KK+. Other users say, they would like pads, others desire faders, etc. So, kind of modular, click-in thing might fill dreams of all.

One could click-in computer, one pads, other faders, yet other all that....

• Simchris

I did a stand up synth station a few years ago with Akai PRO setup and small touch screen.

Abandoned that when I moved in 2019.

Going to redo with KK49MKII, Intel NUC, and larger touch screen. Using Cantabile as plugin host when not using KK/Kontakt.

old version - no longer used:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvpLUhtB1QE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru
    edited June 2022

This is a good refinement of this idea. Separating the computing module from the controls allows for much more flexible and personal configurations.

One computing module could serve the purposes of both Komplete and Maschine.

• Kubrak

No, it could not as it would not fit in Maschine....

• nightjar

Certainly it quite possible to have the same computer module serve as a system "hub" for attached controller modules to provide the hardware functionality of Maschine... Very possible.

Extremely possible.

• nightjar
    edited June 2022

Coincidentally enough.. ran across this concept mockup of a modular MPC using a Nintendo Switch as the brains:

• Kubrak

But I do not speak about external thing, but click-in module. It becomes integral part of mother base....

If people wanted something attached by wire or even by air, they already could use notebook/tablet PC....

• nightjar

What you see as a problem with physical integration is among the simpler and less expensive things to solve with flexible product design.

• Kubrak

Sure, everything is possible, but NI would have to change Maschine considerably to allow click-in system. And I doubt they would like to do it, and even users wouldn't be very happy, IMHO.

I have MK3 and Studio, MK3 is just right size, Studio too big. I still use Studio as I like its jogwheel and aditional buttons... But I never transport it, in that case I take MK3.

So, Mk3/M+ are just right size. And there is no space for click-in module with computer.... Keyboards have much more space for it and they are not so well transportable anyway....