Maschine & Logic Pro X: Key Commands assignment not working

Elena
Elena Member Posts: 35 Member

I just bought a Maschine MK3 and I'm trying really hard to make it work with Logic Pro X.

It is correctly installed and set up, but when I try to assign keys from Key Commands Edit, it fails. In the Assignment window stays the same message: No message received yet and no assignment is made. The Maschine appears in this window only as Mackie Control F...- it is a message in blank. The button (Mixer in this case) on the device does not lit when I press it.

Should I put my Maschine in a different mode? I did put it in Midi mode, at the beginning of the setup.

Can you help? Thank you.

Best Answer

• Elena
    Answer ✓

As usual, it was just a foolish mistake - all buttons and knobs on the Masch device became somehow completely inactive during the process. So that's why I was unable to do anything. The control editor template works just fine. Everything got back to normal with a device restart. I don't really know what kind of action can cause all buttons to go inactive, I'll figure it out some other time.

Thanks for your patience and advices:) I discovered other useful links with this occasion.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

In order to get it to work as a generic MCU controller, you would need to create a MCU Midi template in Controller Editor. The CE manual should have all the info on how to do that.

• Elena

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I already did it. But I created the template with the help of an online tutorial (and apparently it does not work:), because the Controller Editor manual only offers guidance on how to create a template for Ableton Live, not for Logic. I do have a Maschine cheat sheet for Logic, but I don't know how to use it for now:) since I'm unable yet to assign the key commands.

Can I apply the same steps from MASCHINE Ableton Live Template Manual, to Logic? It seems impossible to me, but who knows:)

• Blindeddie

what tutorial are you referring too? (post a link). Maschine has Host Integration with Logic that does not require using Midi Mode or Templates or Key Commands, have you set that up? Granted it is not "Full" control of logic as you can see from the Cheat sheet. This article may help if you are having issues with that.

Fixing NI Host Integration Issues in Logic Pro / GarageBand – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

if you post a link to that tutorial, I can get a better idea of whats going on with that...

• Elena

Do you know if there is an official NI tutorial or manual for creating a Logic Pro X MIDI template in CI?

• Elena

Thank you for the article. The tutorial that I used is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNyQOEvRyI&t=132s Because I didn't know how to set up the Host Integration and I noticed that the Controller Editor manual was referring to Ableton only. I'll try to figure it out with this article. Thx.

• Elena

I found the helpful link - https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209582749-Setting-up-Your-MASCHINE-Controller-for-Host-Transport-Control-in-Logic-Pro

Indeed, the Mackie Control template can be used for Logic, with "small" modifications - such as changing the Pads' Assignment - which is the end of the story for me:) - I'll try to find someone smarter who can explain to me this step.

• Blindeddie

In the video link you posted, there is a link to download in the as illustrated in the screenshot below...

Download and extract the zip file which contains instructions on where to install all the files and then continue on with the video.

• Elena

Do you think that this tutorial might solve the complicated step in Mackie Control with Changing the Pads' Assignments? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY0M1a2KPcU&t=94s

The tutorial says it takes the good parts from Mackie template and adds an easier solution for the pads.

Could this work?

• Blindeddie

Only one way to find out....give it a try!!!

• Elena
    Answer ✓

As usual, it was just a foolish mistake - all buttons and knobs on the Masch device became somehow completely inactive during the process. So that's why I was unable to do anything. The control editor template works just fine. Everything got back to normal with a device restart. I don't really know what kind of action can cause all buttons to go inactive, I'll figure it out some other time.

Thanks for your patience and advices:) I discovered other useful links with this occasion.

• Blindeddie

If you choose the "MCU Transport" Template from the Factory template list, then all buttons and pads are unassigned (off) except the transport buttons (Play, Rec Etc..).

• Elena

Thank you!

• Mavros
    Mavros Member Posts: 33 Member

When switching to Midi Mode all seems to work well for my Maschine MK3 in Logic without the need for any work in the Controller Editor. I am using a MBP with M1Max and Monterey. In Logic the MK3 plugin seems to use the .device script for Host Control uploaded during the Maschine installation which I assume uses the Template 1 instance shown in the Control Editor when you open it or some other located elsewhere.

However for some reason the the transport buttons on the bottom left of the unit, do not work in this mode. The pads work, the groups switch the octaves, shift-1 and shift-2 for undo and redo work, the mixer functions and solo and mute work but play, record, loop and tap do not work. According to the cheat sheet NI provides for Logic integration in Midi Mode they should work however. Pushing Record on the MK3 just activates the track for recording (red R in the track header). The other transport buttons are inactive.

I tried to reprogram these buttons allocating MCU IDs for those commands instead of CCs in Template 1 in the Controller Editor but to no avail. The only way I got Maschine to control Logic transport buttons is if I load the Logic Pro instance instead of the NI default one but there the integration is very basic e.g. and most other buttons and the pads are set to off.

Has anyone and idea why only these bottons do not work in the standard setup as per NIs recommendation and how to solve this issue?

• Stemphonyx
    Stemphonyx Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    edited September 2023

I have the exact same. According to NI "Logic Pro X is already setup for advanced integration with Maschine mk3" however play, stop, loop tap and restart don't work if Maschine 2 is open within Logic Pro. However they do work if maschine is not open as vet within logic. This is so weird.

To give a full context, this is my setup:

Maschine mk3, maschine Jam, Komplete Control S88.

If I open maschine 2 standalone, all works just perfectly. If I open Logic without opening Maschine 2 as vst, all works fine.

However if I open maschine 2 within Logic as vst then all works fine except:

• Play, stop, tap, restart don't work on maschine MK3
    • Plat, stop, restart don't work on Maschine Jam
    • All works fine on Komplete Control S88

So basically now I use Play, Stop to control the host, and the rest works just fine on all controllers.

So it's not unusable, it's just that if I am travelling and I am making beats away from home, basically I cannot use logic, and I have to use maschine. Which is fine. It's just...annoying?

Thanks

• Mavros
    Mavros Member Posts: 33 Member

Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one having this issue. By the way the transport buttons on the KK [I have the same S61 MK2) are also a bit buggy. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don‘t. Restarting the KK often but not always works. restarting Logic does work but it is a pain…Maybe it is because I often have Logic and Dorico open at the same time which leads to funny situations. In fact in Dorico you get the split keyboard which many people asked about in this forum. In the Dorico instrument range it will play that instrument and outside it will play the instrument focussed in Logic. Just for live playing it does not record of course.