Kontrol incoming MIDI Clock

Samwoodsy
Samwoodsy Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited July 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey

Here's my conundrum.

I want to use my s49 mk2 to control Komplete Kontrol (standalone) as a part of my live set up but I am struggling with my MIDI set up. For the set up to work I need Kontrol to receive an external midi clock from some external hardware (specifically a Pioneer SP16). Is this possible?

From reading the manual it looks like that is not possible. Instead it seems that i use Kontrol as a plug in, lets say in Maschine for the sake of argument, then Maschine could receive an external midi clock and then Kontrol could sync to that host clock. Is that correct?

As a general explainer of what i do, i am a hybrid DJ. So i use two decks which connect to the SP16 via Pioneer's prolink. The SP16 can receive prolink so it can keep time with the decks and then its sends MIDI clock based on that prolink master tempo. I want to add Komplete Kontrol to that so that i can bang off some arps and notes etc.

If what i think is correct then i can do it, but it has to be via Maschine (or some other host like Ableton).

Hope i have explained that clearly.πŸ™ƒ

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer βœ“

Komplete Kontrol is not a sequencer, it is basically a sound source and cannot be controlled by an external midi clock, so your assumption is correct!

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer βœ“

Komplete Kontrol is not a sequencer, it is basically a sound source and cannot be controlled by an external midi clock, so your assumption is correct!

• Samwoodsy

ok cool i suppose that is obvious, thanks.

so whats the purpose of the midi in port on the back of the s49? I know that sounds dumb, but is it purely for the case that you are using that hardware as a midi controller for something other than Kontrol?

its pretty pointless apart from that isn't it?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert

Typically most people will use their KK keyboard with a DAW and this then allows devices to connect via the MIDI keyboard into their DAW.

You can also connect other hardware into the keyboard and use it standalone with KK if you really wanted, just KK does not operate based on a clock for the reason Blindeddie said.

So with a DAW it makes sense like any other MIDI input, without a DAW and if you have a need for sync to a clock then yes, it is kinda pointless.

• Samwoodsy

sweet thanks.

So actually where i land will be midi out from my SP16, midi in to s49, use KK as a plug in within Maschine, tell Maschine to sync to external clock and i should be golden.

appreciate both your help - i'm a bit green on these things since although I am a seasoned DJ, i'm only a basic producer as all i'm doing is loops and stuff for my DJ sets.