Komplete Kontrol Crashing DAW ?? and long buffering times

teezeewolf
teezeewolf Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited June 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hey guys so I've been experiencing some major problems with plugins such as Komplete Kontrol, i was just now going around the different available sounds and all of a sudden, my program began to buffer, resulting in Ableton crashing. Also, the buffering times when switching throughout some of these sounds are very long, can anyone help me out?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yeah this is probably normal.

When you load something like a large Kontakt based library some of these can be many GB in size and can take some time to load into memory. This can become more apparent when running from a slower HDD based external drive especially if it is a USB2 based drive. Ideally, an SSD based USB3 drive would cut that down by a lot.

If you switch your preset browser for instance to a synth instrument such as Massive and switch presets for that it will probably be fine but if you switch back to Kontakt it will become slower. Only solution is as mentioned, better drive.

Answers

• JesterMgee

When you say “buffer” do you mean it takes time to load something? Can you define “very long”? What instrument are you switching too, some have large sample libraries. Is your content on internal drive HDD/SSD or usb?

• teezeewolf
    teezeewolf Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    edited June 2022

Yeah sorry buffer might not have been the best word, it takes long to load, or it will load the sound and then it might freeze for a bit(like the entire DAW) as for how long it really depends but this last one it was frozen for maybe 2 minutes, and the time before that wasn't as long but it did end up making Ableton crash. And i was within Komplete Kontrol, i think i switched to "3-4 strummer" and then it froze for a bit. Im Using an external hard drive for the libraries

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Yeah this is probably normal.

When you load something like a large Kontakt based library some of these can be many GB in size and can take some time to load into memory. This can become more apparent when running from a slower HDD based external drive especially if it is a USB2 based drive. Ideally, an SSD based USB3 drive would cut that down by a lot.

If you switch your preset browser for instance to a synth instrument such as Massive and switch presets for that it will probably be fine but if you switch back to Kontakt it will become slower. Only solution is as mentioned, better drive.