VST3 support - how is it going?

Comments

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

Unfortunately, PDC doesn't seem to be in the plan we have but I don't have the full scope of the what might be added to next updates. I'll share if I come across it.

• Matt_NI
    edited June 2022

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we shared that info before (mentioned NKS support first iirc). Finally, we got the confirmation from the dev it's on the roadmap and it's happening (for all plugins). Isn't that good news as per discussion in this thread?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru
    edited June 2022

There's a bit of newness here... Hope the KK beta opens up well before the public release.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 403 Pro

@Matt_NI This is brilliant news, especially this: "The decision was made to implement VST3 support for all third party VST3 plugins."

This one line means we're limited only by the plugins we run through KK, Special bump for @JesterMgee

Fingers crossed all goes to plan on the timeline. Again, if you need some beta testers with plenty of 3rd party plugins - you're in the right place.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 292 Pro
    edited June 2022

One would have thought that if they were embarrassed by the more than acute lack of development, they might say or show some signs as such. Yes, we got what we paid for, and yet again also not what has been promised. Most would actually pay for development were it actually there, and not so badly implemented that for one step forward there were three steps back. We keep going through this time and time again. If you're happy with things ... great, but you have to be living under a very large rock not to know that there are many that aren't and this has been going on years before SoundWide ever entered the scene. Even given the implementation of VST3 and PDC and hopefully correcting the complete mess of duplication, that is only a slight step in the direction of implementing all the other long, long requested features missing that most would have considered should have been at least on the horizon by now, a flexible scalable GUI, aftertouch, editable automation, internal midi support, etc etc etc. Last year there were signs of a dialogue with the users. That seems to have completely disappeared yet again. How can they have a productive and reasonable relationship with users and any development without that?

Yes, SoundWide are investors who want a return. In theory nothing so wrong with that, developing a product to be best in class, or at least what the user's want, is not automatically the inverse of that. Bitwig charge for an upgrade every year, (though it isn't compulsory) but they are developing at a rate that makes Maschine almost look Neanderthal, so you rarely hear people complaining.

It's up to NI, if they want to see the company become a self-parody of the company it once was, they are possibly on the right track, but most would find that deeply saddening and a great waste

They have some potentially great products and some very talented and helpful users (when they are not busy deleting them). Wouldn't it be far better for everyone to at least attempt a symbiotic relationship, rather than view users as a necessary inconvenience?

• tempsperdu

I have to admit that the fact that considering not supporting non NKS for VST 3 was viewed by many as completely incomprehensible, so though it's good news, most would have thought how could that have been a consideration in the first place.

• nightjar

Exactly. It had seemed like an normal thing to expect..... But anyhoo, glad some fresh noise was made.

I'm hoping browser improvements are part of the next release too.... sigh....

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 403 Pro

So the only thing I'll say here, is that @Matt_NI Doesn't run the dev team - he's simply passing on a message from that team - and it's something a lot of us have asked for. Regardless of how long we've asked for it, I would have thought the community might be a little more positive, given the change in direction to all 3rd party VST3? That's exactly what a lot of us have been asking for.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro
    edited June 2022

This is some good news, finally. I can certainly wait few more months for M1 native 🤩

• nightjar

Hard to get too gushy when this level of communication is still quite meager.

Like thanking the waiter at an expensive restaurant for bringing you some more stale bread when you've already been waiting over an hour for the main course to come from the kitchen.

• tempsperdu

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm genuinely curious, but how could anyone find any kind of positive in the idea of only supporting VST3 for NKS for anyone and for even considering that, what kind of message does that send out to users??????

Unfortunately for Matt, he is the messenger and I don't think anyone is trying to get at him, but when any communication with anyone else appears impossible, and there's a community with as much heavily long term disappointment, then unfortunately they are not going to be the happiest of bunnies. None of this is personal, he's just in a very unfortunate position, not of his own making and I hope he's aware of that.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Aaah OK that's a bummer, VST3 is useless to me with no PDC, good news for others though.

• Matt_NI

Just to clarify, this is a change of timeline more than a change of direction. VST3 support for all plugin was still going to happen. I wrote NKS first, not NKS support only …

• nightjar
    edited June 2022

I hope the plans for the beta period can mimic what is happening with Traktor Pro right here within this NI community. Centercode has been rather wimpy.

If "running a beta" here is OK for Traktor Pro, why not KK and Maschine too?

• Matt_NI

The Traktor Beta area is something we're definitely consider expanding. We're currently trying different things with Traktor (not stopping just with the Beta) and hopefully we can take these learnings to bring across other products.