Unable to use many presets due Maxed out CPU

Mister Marty
Mister Marty Member Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

I have owned Guitar Rig 6 Pro since it was first released but have just just begun to get it up and running in my DAW (CakeWalk by Bandlab v 2022.06 Build, 028, 64 Bit). The good news is that I have had some success so far. Both the stand-alone version and the plug-in run and are useable when using the less complex presets. However, many ( I haven't test them all ) of the presets practically peg the CPU and are really unuseble for me at this point. Here are a few of the presets that I have personally had trouble with both in stand-a-lone and in my DAW.

F Aus, F Aus 2, Harmonic Rockbox, JC Sparkly Stereo Leslie Delays, JS Split Personadelay, etc.

My Computer is Running Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 installed on6/25/2020.

CPU is AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 4.3 GHz. I am not using the 8 graphic cores.

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series Radeon Software v 21.5.2. I don't do gaming on the PC. Never had any issues with the graphics card to-date.

Installed RAM 32 GB. Rated at 1866 MHz.

My Audio Interface is a TASCAM 102i.

For the less complex presets Guitar Rig 6 Pro sounds great; however, I want to better understand the performance issues and what it would take to overcome them before I decide to make it my go to guitar plug-in.

I want to emphasize that that I am having the same kind of issues in the stand-alone version and NOT just in Cakewalk. Has anybody managed to understand the nature of this issue and figured out a work-around. I'd sure appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Mister Marty

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert
    Answer ✓

@Mister Marty

Hi, some of GR6 presets may be pretty demanding. And your CPU is 9 years old and it was not the top CPU model even back then. CPUs evolve pretty fast, they deliver roughly 10 times more computing power in ten years.

That means that current CPUs deliver roughly 10x more than CPUs in time when your CPU has been produced....

If it does not mind to you, you may increase audio interface buffer size. It would make things better, but it introduces latency.

I used to use i7 CPU (4C/8T 2.1 GHz) from the same era like your CPU is till quite recently and had to use audio buffer size of 1024 or 2048 on heavier projects....

Answers

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor

In Cakewalk, I see only 20% utilization when I put in the 'F Aus' and similar presets. I don't see any issues.

• Mister Marty

Hi arachnaut,

Thanks for responding. Do you see a big difference between my computer and yours? Any observations you could make that might account for the difference?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert
    Answer ✓

@Mister Marty

Hi, some of GR6 presets may be pretty demanding. And your CPU is 9 years old and it was not the top CPU model even back then. CPUs evolve pretty fast, they deliver roughly 10 times more computing power in ten years.

That means that current CPUs deliver roughly 10x more than CPUs in time when your CPU has been produced....

If it does not mind to you, you may increase audio interface buffer size. It would make things better, but it introduces latency.

I used to use i7 CPU (4C/8T 2.1 GHz) from the same era like your CPU is till quite recently and had to use audio buffer size of 1024 or 2048 on heavier projects....

• Mister Marty

Kubrak,

I know my old PC is approaching retirement. The way that I use my DAW I rarely have more than 4 or 5 tracks. With my CPU does run at 4.3 GHz and I have the fastest memory that my Motherboard supports. I'm still optimistic that I can learn to use Guitar Rig 6 Pro on this computer. That said, I went back and reinstalled the audio interface drivers, Guitar Rig 6 Pro and then refreshed the BIOS to the computer. I'm not exactly sure which of these things helped the most but I am no longer pegging out the CPU and most of the presets seem to read in the mid-40's and and-50's now. Thanks for your input and encouragement to step up to more up-to-date system.