How to automate global mixer eg eq in kontakt 5

Mark Wesse
Mark Wesse Member Posts: 43 Member
edited June 2022 in Kontakt

As above

Automating actual instruments is simple and no issue

However I have a multi that I would like to be able to filter realtime and would like it to apply globally and be controlled from the kontakt mixer...

Cheers

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

Hey Mark, I'm not 100% sure to understand what you want to achieve here. What parameters are you trying to automate exactly ? What global mixer do you mean ? There is no master section in a multi, so if you want to process the whole multi you would need to do that externally.

• Mark Wesse

Hi jeremy and thanks for your reply

The kontakt instance has a global mixer...correct? So im hoping i could simply mapped automation to it so its considered as one instrument including the modulation of the mixer and inserts etc...at the moment you can drag mod sources onto to targets but the mixer seems excluded?

Hth

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

The mixer is for routing purposes only, no automation is possible here, so you would need to do route your outputs to separate channels in your DAW and automate these in your project. How to Create Multiple Outputs in KONTAKT and Route Them to a DAW

• Mark Wesse
    edited June 2022

The context is live performance...and moreso the philosophy that its a realtime instrument that is fully autonomous. Im still using the abandoned masterpiece of kore but im nervous to continue because of future compatibility.

To be clear i mean to play a song as a piece completely and dont even use midi ie its recorded as audio despite using midi since 87 and developing oem ui/ux for ableton hardware. Its about the capture and expression of that moment as an artist...i use to know melodyne intimately but over the years i have seen the damage of perfection done to art/music if that makes sense.

NO PITCH CORRECTION!

This is how i treat it as a producer as well ..i dont take on jobs that are endless tweaking by bedroom guys...it has to be full live takes that can be further painted with based on the quality of the artist. With that background...thats why the modularity is so important...the kontakt instrument becomes integral to each song and should exist by itself

I have no need of external routing as its more about realtime crossfading/morphing but after beta testing and using a lot of performance hosts eg gig performer, freestyle etc...nothing comes close to the perfection of kore hence me studying solutions to treat eg kontakt multis as a more modular component.

Kontakt strength are its multis and the mixer would benefit from automation and simple internal inserts to make it whole...imvho :-)

Cheers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @Mark Wesse I totally get it! I love the idea of just recording in one go and not to edit for days and days, questioning every decision, every sound. I also love to jam and record as I play with synths and guitar pedals, mistakes and hapy accidents included. Now about Kontakt, yes, it also makes sense, I will forward the idea to the Kontakt team as a feature request. I'm not sure it will be implemented, in this version of Kontakt or the next, but thanks for the input. For the short / middle term future, I would try and find another way, I also doubt that Kore will make a comeback in 2022. Ableton being very flexible, have you thought about using it as a hub for your performance?

• Mark Wesse
    edited June 2022

Thanks for your understanding@Jeremy_NI

I love the idea of just recording in one go and not to edit for days and days, questioning every decision, every sound. I also love to jam and record as I play with synths and guitar pedals, mistakes and hapy accidents included

Baha...so good to meet you...on the same page...first synth was a Korg 700 we pooled around our group of musicians...along with guitar pedals, VC10 vocoder, mirano tape echo; but what it did highlight was the psychology of experimentation that flows well with focused modules and sources that are tactile :-)

it also makes sense, I will forward the idea to the Kontakt team as a feature request. I'm not sure it will be implemented

Thanks...just hoping it gets to be part of making Kontakt better...its not a big ask but helpful as you understand the autonomous nature of Kontakt as an instrument synergy of the parts

I also doubt that Kore will make a comeback in 2022.

Of course! Kore main issue was translation of what it was and some very concise and clear examples on YT etc that communicate the whole in less than 3 mins...and that would be a very tough call

Ableton being very flexible, have you thought about using it as a hub for your performance?

Im pretty intimate with Ableton...actually programming remotes scripts for various hardware mfgs...its a great product and I use it a lot...live as well but I also use Cubase in the studio so whatever I do must be portable.

On top of that...I dont play in my bedroom...I play with people...lots of them at different times across different genres and instruments and many are mulit instrumentalists...so whatever I do must be self contained and be able to plug into their systems. I have a mini pc that I hand around as a portable engine with Kore on it so that the 2 other keyboardist can easily experiment with my instruments as there is a lot of spontaneous segue to move within.

This is where Kore is unmatched, ie create the 2 main instruments ie Kontakt with grand strings or someting...then maybe absynth with a sympathetic enveloping patch.

Now set one end of the matrix (just a 2x4) in kore, start on square 1 and assign the strings in the default state and levels etc, jump to 4, do the same with Absynth and silence Kontakt etc and snapshot that etc along with some variable states on the other matrix pads and its an incredibly easy and playable instruments for 2 songs which can easily span 20 mins...so enjoyable.

Using a host destroys that portability and nothing else has the matrix...well not as ridiculously simple :-)

Tschuss!

• Mark Wesse
    edited June 2022

@Jeremy_NI

Here is a super simple example of use in a live context...this has absynth as the opposing engine

A couple of instruments layers to achieve orchestral string layer, section panned and octave shift as would be the case with unison/interval compositions.

Here I have an insert filter on the output buss as I want the instrument to filter down when crossfading (as well as other stuff but this is s breakdown example)

The simple solution is just the automation apply to the mixer and accompanying inserts.

Kore is work around atm

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

What you could do instead is open the instrument edit mode and put that filter in the Main Effects chain at the end. You can automate that.

• Mark Wesse

For sure...you mean per instrument right?

But when you have eg 4 layers of instruments...gets messy

Kore is working nicely for now

Cheers