Maschine slows down laptop and freezes

paaleide
paaleide Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

OK guys, I know literally nothing about any of this stuff. I tried loading the maschine software on my son's computer so he can learn how to use it. Whenever i open the software, the laptop slows so badly it's unusable. It literally freezes for over 5 minutes at a time for every single click. It's insanely frustrating.

can one of you fine people give me a step by step instruction on how to load this software from scratch onto a laptop in a manner that won't overwhelm it? It's a relatively modern gaming computer so i highly doubt it's a problem with the hardware. I think i just loaded way too much onto it from the maschine download center or whatever it's called.

I have a 13yo son that can possibly benefit greatly from being able to manipulate this software but i have no idea what to do.

please help, guys.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

What are the specs of the laptop? Maschine has Minimum requirements that can be found on the Product -> Specification page. Its not a matter of how its loaded, its a matter of "Can the Computer Handle it" There are steps to "Tune" the computer, just Search "Tune Computer for Audio"

• paaleide

It's definitely a very powerful computer. i definitely loaded way too many maschine files or something. i removed everything and i'm really looking for a bare bones way to download maschine. please help

• Blindeddie

Exactly what did you install? The Maschine program itself is pretty small (about 300mb) and depending on the content (samples/instruments/etc.) that could range from 1.2 Gig for the Maschine Factory Selection and about 7Gig for the Maschine Factory Library (again very small by today's standards). Is the slowness happening as soon as you open the program with nothing loaded? is there a circling icon at the top of the browser window? That means that Maschine is scanning that content to add it to the browser. It is supposed to run in the background and not impeded performance.

So a bare bones install would be the Program itself and the Factory selection. that gives you everything you need to get started.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 997 Guru

@paaleide unfortunately "definitely very powerful" doesn't tell us much. Blindeddie asked for the specs. Please post the specs (make/model, CPU type/speed, amount of RAM etc).

• paaleide

system model: nitro AN515-53

installed physical memory: 8.00 gb

total phys. memory: 7.85 ram

available phys. memory: 2.66 gb

total virtual memory 18.4 gb

available virtual memory: 9.60 gb

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

It passes the minimum requirements, Memory usage seems a tad high for Idle which means there is a lot of Background processes running. Again tuning the system for Audio would be good idea (basically turning off things that are not essential). Here is an article on performance tuning.

How can I tune a Windows PC for best audio performance? | Audinate | FAQs

• Juliettealison
    Juliettealison Member Posts: 2 Member

Maschine, a hand-in-hand combination of sequencing software with a physical piece of gear, lets you program beats, loops, and melodies by tapping touch-sensitive pads while its software component runs on your computer. This is such a heavy instrument and it requires a heavy laptop to run on. You should try it on gaming laptops and I'm sure it could help you. I also faced the same issue and got it resolved when I replaced the laptop with a gaming laptop.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

This Laptop should handle it, follow first @Blindeddie ´s tips, he is right ram usage seems way to high. If all does not help, reset the laptop and install maschine then, install maschine on the ssd but the libraries on the hdd (in the internet i see that it has a 256GB ssd and 1TB hdd!?), you can set the folders in native access settings. I guess he also plays games then put these also all on the hdd, but leave around 200 GB free on the hdd and 50 on the ssd.