Is my Traktor S4 (MK1) useless now?

spencec6
spencec6 Member Posts: 4 Member

I took a hiatus from DJing after having kids, and went to pull it out again this week. I have bought a new M1 laptop since playing Traktor last, and realized the driver only goes up to 10.11, luckily, I still had a really old macbook kicking around, running Mavericks. I downloaded the S4 driver there, as well as the legacy Native Access. Still no luck. :( The Native Access says Download Failed every time I try to install it (I'm assuming it recognizes that it's outdated). I tried just simply activating with the Service Center, but it also hangs up during online activation. I attempted to do an offline setup by sending the ActivationRequestFile.html to my other computer. When I access that, it says offline activation is no longer available. I think I'm out of options now, but it seems crazy to me that this $1000+ hardware is just completely unusable now. Is this really the case?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    Answer ✓

@spencec6 Officially, yes. But there's a note here saying you might be able to use it with Sierra as well:

Answers

• DJM (Sagar)
    DJM (Sagar) Member Posts: 45 Helper

Hi @spencec6,

Unfortunately, its Apple that made some of the old class USB devices completely unusable post 10.15. This page explains the compatibility list well.

Compatibility of Native Instruments Products on macOS – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

Most of the MK1 devices can't be used past 10.15 or on Big Sur.

• spencec6
    edited June 2022

Thanks @DJM (Sagar), though as mentioned above, the M1 is not the issue here since I have another mac that is running on Mavericks (10.9) and still can't set up due to various issues as mentioned.

• DJM (Sagar)
    DJM (Sagar) Member Posts: 45 Helper

Hi @spencec6. You may have already tried this, so apologies if you have. The same page I linked above has links to the last compatible versions of Traktor which are direct downloads, not via Native Access. I don't believe Native Access is supported on 10.9.

• spencec6

Yes, I did try downloading version 1.1.3 which is compatible with macOS 10.9, however, when I attempted to install it, it says "Download Failed" in the wizard setup on the step where its says "checking for more recent updates".

• Kaiwan_NI

Hi @spencec6 unfortunately Mavericks is not support, but you might still be able to run S4 MK1 on Sierra. Would it be possible for you to upgrade to Sierra? Please see more info here:

Operation of NI Legacy Hardware Devices on macOS 10.12 - 10.14

• spencec6

Thank you @Kaiwan_NI . I can definitely upgrade that computer to sierra, however, I don’t think that would resolve the issue since it looks like the s4 driver only works up to is 10.11 (Sierra is 10.12).

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

• Kaiwan_NI
    Answer ✓

@spencec6 Officially, yes. But there's a note here saying you might be able to use it with Sierra as well:

• DimaSpider
    DimaSpider Member Posts: 3 Member

Hello!

All works fine up to Monterey and Ventura beta 2 on intel CPU )))

Traktor Kontrol S4 MK1 and Mac OS Monterey & Ventura (succesed tests)

It is unlikely that it works on M1 and M2, because drivers for MK1 for these processors were not released.

• Rebar
    Rebar Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

After getting fed up with windoze, I took the plunge for a Mac M2 pro to be rewarded with a hardware compatibility issue that doesn't exist on the Bill Gates platform!

I have spent thousands with NI over the last several years, starting with the S4, then a couple weeks ago almost 5K on the MacBook to be rewarded with my S4 MK1 to be a doorstop!

Someone said this is a Mac issue but I am not buying this as the S4 is a MIDI controller and as such complies with the MIDI language standard that hasn't changed.

I am not interested in spending another $1300 plus tax on a controller!

I had posted the compatibility question a while back BEFORE I bought the MacBook and no response from NI!

Does this mean all of my other NI hardware will be obsolete soon? Maschine Studio, Maschine Micro, Kontrol keyboard etc etc.

Has anyone found a work around for this? NI? Anybody?

• DimaSpider
    DimaSpider Member Posts: 3 Member

With Mac on M1 and upper - YES.

But with Mac on Intel it still work, even on Mac OS Sonoma.

Problems only with drivers, which support only Intel processors. For Mx processors no drivers.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,221 Expert

NI would have to write a new firmware for the mk1. I think A&H did it for the k2 which has a similar age. But they are also still selling the k2.

You could sell the mk1 and buy a used mk2. I see them being sold for ~250 EUR.

You can see what hardware and software is compatible with what version of mac os here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014900358-Compatibility-of-Native-Instruments-Products-on-macOS