Can I Use Third Party VI Drums w/ Maschine?

jcshirke
jcshirke Member Posts: 19 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

I was wondering if I could use Maschine as an external controller for other VI drums like EZ Drummer 3. If so, is the process relatively straightforward? Is mapping each piece of the drum kit to a pad easy?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,052 mod
    Answer ✓

You can do that, you can open the EZdrummer VST inside of maschine and play it that way. Or you can use maschine as a midi controller with a DAW like ableton. There is already a midi template in maschine where every pad group starts at a different octave with c of course, so you can switch through the octave and look where the drums are mapped, from c-1, with c3 or something like that. I'm sure you even can set this in EZ drummer if you want to

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

You can do that, you can open the EZdrummer VST inside of maschine and play it that way. Or you can use maschine as a midi controller with a DAW like ableton. There is already a midi template in maschine where every pad group starts at a different octave with c of course, so you can switch through the octave and look where the drums are mapped, from c-1, with c3 or something like that. I'm sure you even can set this in EZ drummer if you want to

• jcshirke
    jcshirke Member Posts: 19 Member

Thank you. I think I get it, but just to make sure:

I typically open up EZ Drummer and all my VIs inside my DAW, which is Logic. I could open a Logic session, launch EZ Drummer, and Maschine will recognize it using one of its templates, and/or I can go into EZ Drummer and map the drums to Maschine?

• Uwe303

in logic you can do both, open maschine as instrument and inside of maschine you open EZdrummer. Or you just open directly EZdrummer and use maschine as midi controller in midi mode (shift+midi). i would prefer the first version cause maschine can save presets, then you can browse all the sounds from EZdrummer through maschine browser, but it really depends on your workflow whats best for you.

So your described case will not work that way, if you open up the VI´s in logic, maschine recognizes nothing, it then just works as a midi keyboard but with pads. You have to route midi from maschine to that track in order to work and of course maschine must be in midi mode.