Adding select Massive presets to Maschine plus

S Righteous
S Righteous Member Posts: 148 Helper
edited June 2022 in Maschine

I want to add some Massive presets to Maschine plus. I don't want to add all of them.

I dragged an .nmsv file into Massive->Sounds on my card, and it wasn't recognized. So I went into Maschine+ and loaded a sound, then saved it as a user sound. When I checked the card this went into the Maschine2->Sounds folder, and was saved as a .mxsnd file.

So, I dragged a .nmsv file into that location and as suspected it was not found.

Is there an easy way to drag just a selection of Massive presets into Maschine+?

I don't want to scroll through all of those, and just want favourites in my user tab.

Best Answers

• S Righteous
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

I tried every method I could until I finally got success!

What made this tricky for me, is that the folder structure of NI stuff on my computer does not match the SD Card, and for Massive, I select favourites, and only want to move those to Maschine+, but the favourites folder on my Mac has alias's (which I didn't notice because the icons are soooo small).

Another thing which makes this non-intuitive is the structure of how Maschine+ uses Massive presets. You can browse Massive presets as "Instruments", but you cannot save "Instruments". When you select "save as" you can only save Projects, Groups and Sounds. So your Massive preset (.nmsv file) will become a Maschine Sound (.mxsnd file). This should determine what folder it goes into as well, on my card, those ended up in the "Maschine 2" folder in the "Sounds" folder.

My SD card has a folder for Massive, but nothing ends up in there, and from what I understand, cannot end up in there because you can't save Massive instruments, and when you make favourites on Machine+ it does not store them separately in a different folder (as it does on my computer). So that folder is a dead end.

Anyway, the bottom line is that on my DS card I went into the "Maschine 2" Folder and created a new folder called "Massive Sounds", which didn't exist, but does on my computer library. I added .nmsv files in there and now they are found when I browse to Massive -> Instruments -> User

This folder structure is bonkers, because I'm putting Massive "INSTRUMENTS" in a "SOUNDS" folder in the "MASHINE 2" Folder (not the Massive folder). But I browse for them as Instruments, not Sounds, and I browse for them in the Massive Library not the Maschine 2 Library. These two things used to mean something, and they use different file extensions. But whatever, this seems to work.

• S Righteous
    Answer ✓

Just adding the next step here.

When I add patches via a USB stick, they are seen as User Instruments, but you have to keep the USB stick connected. There is no way to load these into the Maschine+. In my case the SD card is my permanent User Library, so I want to manage that, and back it up on my computer.

There is no intuitive way to get my custom FM8 patches into Maschine+.

Once again, I made a new folder "FM8 Sounds" inside the "Maschine 2" Folder on my SD card, and added patches there and voila ! they appear as user Instruments.

I feel like this should be in the documentation, but I could not find it anywhere.

Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru

I just dragged a bunch of presets to a USB stick. They all show up. I didn't put them in a special folder or anything. I did it a while ago; so I don't remember how long it took for them to get indexed.

Can you confirm you're under user and looking under instruments (as opposed to sounds, groups, effects, etc)

• S Righteous
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

I tried every method I could until I finally got success!

What made this tricky for me, is that the folder structure of NI stuff on my computer does not match the SD Card, and for Massive, I select favourites, and only want to move those to Maschine+, but the favourites folder on my Mac has alias's (which I didn't notice because the icons are soooo small).

Another thing which makes this non-intuitive is the structure of how Maschine+ uses Massive presets. You can browse Massive presets as "Instruments", but you cannot save "Instruments". When you select "save as" you can only save Projects, Groups and Sounds. So your Massive preset (.nmsv file) will become a Maschine Sound (.mxsnd file). This should determine what folder it goes into as well, on my card, those ended up in the "Maschine 2" folder in the "Sounds" folder.

My SD card has a folder for Massive, but nothing ends up in there, and from what I understand, cannot end up in there because you can't save Massive instruments, and when you make favourites on Machine+ it does not store them separately in a different folder (as it does on my computer). So that folder is a dead end.

Anyway, the bottom line is that on my DS card I went into the "Maschine 2" Folder and created a new folder called "Massive Sounds", which didn't exist, but does on my computer library. I added .nmsv files in there and now they are found when I browse to Massive -> Instruments -> User

This folder structure is bonkers, because I'm putting Massive "INSTRUMENTS" in a "SOUNDS" folder in the "MASHINE 2" Folder (not the Massive folder). But I browse for them as Instruments, not Sounds, and I browse for them in the Massive Library not the Maschine 2 Library. These two things used to mean something, and they use different file extensions. But whatever, this seems to work.

• S Righteous

I just realized you dragged yours to a USB stick. I've been trying to replicate the library structure on the SD card, which is a very different thing. So I 'though' I had tried your method, but was mistaken. I'm going to try this and see where the results end up on my SD card !

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru

Mine aren't on the SD card at all. I have a usb stick with a folder called plugins or presets or something. There's a subfolder for reaktor. I dump all the nonsense I make in reaktor there (in even more subfolders). Another subfolder for massive. I just dumped a bunch of presets there. Point being; I didn't actually try to replicate the folder structure.

The presets aren't copied to my SD card. They live on the USB stick. I'll test if I can get them to show up if copied to the user content directory on the SD card.

• S Righteous
    Answer ✓

Just adding the next step here.

When I add patches via a USB stick, they are seen as User Instruments, but you have to keep the USB stick connected. There is no way to load these into the Maschine+. In my case the SD card is my permanent User Library, so I want to manage that, and back it up on my computer.

There is no intuitive way to get my custom FM8 patches into Maschine+.

Once again, I made a new folder "FM8 Sounds" inside the "Maschine 2" Folder on my SD card, and added patches there and voila ! they appear as user Instruments.

I feel like this should be in the documentation, but I could not find it anywhere.