EastWest Conversion Process

mdiemer
mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member
edited June 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I know this is a long shot. I use Linux these days, and can't use libraries that have dongles. Wine can't handle them. So, if I convert my libraries so they can be used in Komplete Kontrol, would they then play on Linux?

I have no problem running Kontakt on Linux. I suspect that the converter just makes the vsti work in KK. It would have to change the file format to NKS to make it load in Kontakt, right?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

Nope. NKS is not a "conversion" of anything, it is just a preset file that instructs KK which plugin to load and what settings to apply. It is just a (binary)text file.

You cannot convert EastWest libraries to any other format, you have to use the Play software so if you want things to work without hassle or constant tweaking, u'll have to use one of the 2 supported operating systems.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

Nope. NKS is not a "conversion" of anything, it is just a preset file that instructs KK which plugin to load and what settings to apply. It is just a (binary)text file.

You cannot convert EastWest libraries to any other format, you have to use the Play software so if you want things to work without hassle or constant tweaking, u'll have to use one of the 2 supported operating systems.

• mdiemer
    mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member

Thanks. I figured as much, but had to rule it out because, if it were possible, it would be huge. "Too good to be true" I believe is the category this falls into.

There is one way to do it,however, at least for older EW libraries. If I could locate and authorize somehow the first edition of EWQLSO, which used the Kompakt Player, I could indeed load those files into Kontakt.

I would be willing to do a straight-up trade of my copy of Hollywood Brass, if I could find somebody willing to do that. I almost never used it on Windows, and of course can't use it now on Linux anyway.