Where can I find a banjo on Komplete 13?

Jack Hollander
Jack Hollander Member Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2022 in Komplete General

I'm trying to find a banjo instrument on Komplete 13. I've looked through the Kontakt Factory Library so far and am struggling to find one. Any help here? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

there is no specific banjo library, to get a good realistic Banjo, you would need to get a third party library. A couple of companies that offer Banjo.

Bolder sounds

Orange Tree samples

Do a search for "Kontakt Banjo" and you will get a more comprehensive list that may include some Free libraries.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

there is no specific banjo library, to get a good realistic Banjo, you would need to get a third party library. A couple of companies that offer Banjo.

Bolder sounds

Orange Tree samples

Do a search for "Kontakt Banjo" and you will get a more comprehensive list that may include some Free libraries.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru

The fact that you feel the need to ask this question is a failure of Native Instruments.

Two points of this NI failure:

1) The unbalanced scope of their library content with regards to music genres.

2) The clumsy and dated designs of their browsing GUI's and search features.

• nightjar
  • Jack Hollander
    Jack Hollander Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks for this!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert

2) The clumsy and dated designs of their browsing GUI's and search features.

Except:

I find a number of nice banjos, ones I like the most are from UVI Emulation II. Just none listed from NI and Banjo isn't something most are looking for, just like Digeridoo, not too many calls for it in production so can't have every instrument under the sun.

• nightjar

Perfect example of a clumsy browser.

Horrible design.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,127 Expert

About your 1):

• You just can't record every single existing instrument and add it to the library as you wish. Imagine NI would do that: you'd 100% be the first person to attack NI for having an overloaded library.
    • Recording an instrument takes time and money. How many people would even need a Banjo? Or, in other words: Would it be feasible to have one in the library? Is the time and money better spent elsewhere instead?

But keep blaming NI for the lightest things.

• nightjar

Banjo is hardly a rare and exotic instrument. And there is so much redundancy of other instruments, why are these minuscule shades of differences so vital?

• JesterMgee
    edited June 2022

Is not what I would say for this one, I find things pretty easily. Maybe user error :)

Banjo is hardly a rare and exotic instrument

No, but it is not a common go to instrument many need in production unless you want to showcase your Banjo production efforts?

TBH I am actually surprised there is no Banjo in Komplete but not enough to kick the dirt around about it, plenty of options out there if one needs a good banjo

• nightjar

Horrible browser is not simply based on whether you can get to an end result.. but also factors of usability. You can pound a nail in with a rock if you try.

Design flaws are numerous. First glaring mistake is the vertical layout that cramps both the search criteria and the results... terrible design choice!

Another glaring mistake are the search choices within "Type". How ridiculous the process must have been when coming up with that silly list... "RetroLand"? "Vocoder"? both a "Bowed Instruments" AND a "Bowed Strings"?

Dumb.

• JesterMgee
    edited June 2022

Horrible browser is not simply based on whether you can get to an end result.. but also factors of usability. You can pound a nail in with a rock if you try.

But on the same analogy, I can bang a nail with a $2 hammer but maybe you prefer a $100 hammer. Both do the exact same thing and get the same job done, but you have a different preference and some can easily make things work with less.

Another glaring mistake are the search choices within "Type". How ridiculous the process must have been when coming up with that silly list... "RetroLand"? "Vocoder"? both a "Bowed Instruments" AND a "Bowed Strings"?

Shws how much you actually bother to make use of the tools you have, maybe if you spend time using it and less time complaining and pining for things that don't yet exist.... The things you point out in that screenshot ( "Bowed Instruments" AND a "Bowed Strings") are mistakes on my end with tagging my own presets. Some others such as "Retro Land" are auto-exported tags from Omnisphere which I am actually working to resolve and remove from the list so your complaints about this side of things being "Dumb" is just specifically directed at my own efforts, but thanks for the kudos there.