Cubase + Maschine: how to record Audio?

McClaneonfire
McClaneonfire Member Posts: 148 Member

Hello to the community,

• I have an Instrumenttrack in Cubase with Maschine loaded using the Mikro MK3
  • I activated several Ext out in Cubase and did the same for each Soundslot in Maschine
  • now I have a channel in Cubase, receiving sound from the corresponding Maschine-Soundslot

How do I create an Audiotrack that records a channels Audio??? When I create an Audiotrack there is no option to route/connect it to a specific channel.

Is the Maschine software not made for live recording into a DAW maybe? Do I have to record Midi in Maschine that plays back? Playing the Mikro MK3 live and recording in Cubase seems impossible. Any tricks here?

Thaaaank you!

Best Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

You should post this to a cubase forum.

I've set mine up so the outputs from maschine go into group channels. I can then create an audio track that uses the group channel as an input. That's not a maschine thing. It's how Cubase works.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

@McClaneonfire said:

Is the Maschine software not made for live recording into a DAW maybe? Do I have to record Midi in Maschine that plays back? Playing the Mikro MK3 live and recording in Cubase seems impossible. Any tricks here?

It's not a Maschine thing, It's some Cubase weirdness. In Ableton for example any audio track can receive Audio from a VST output, we simply select it as an input and it's done. (same goes for all DAWS I've tried except Cubase and Logic)

There's some tricks with dummy audio busses or by using Group tracks, none of those work for me in Cubase 11, give it a try and see if it works for you:

You could also simplify and record the MIDI to Maschine and then drag-and-drop the Audio, that's what most people do.

On MacOS there are free easy solutions to send audio tracks from the Maschine standalone app to any other SW, like BlackHole, not sure what an equivalent for Windows would be tho

• RafaelsTracks
    RafaelsTracks Member Posts: 24 Member
    Answer ✓

Btw in Cubase 13 you can route every channel into an audio track, so you don't need the group channel workaround anymore.

Answers

• McClaneonfire
    edited June 2022

Every Bus shows the corresponding input, when I play the Mikro MK3 live. But how to record that Audio in Cubase?

• McClaneonfire

Other topic but ---- By the way: recording Midi live works BUT playing it back in Cubase gives without the Pitch for example I used when recording - this whole Maschine recording thing is so frustrating. Even when recording inside Maschine, the smartstrip pitch and other parameters sometimes stuck and I have to touch the Smartstrip afterwards so it plays normal again...

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru

You should post this to a cubase forum.

I've set mine up so the outputs from maschine go into group channels. I can then create an audio track that uses the group channel as an input. That's not a maschine thing. It's how Cubase works.

• D-One

@McClaneonfire said:

It's not a Maschine thing, It's some Cubase weirdness. In Ableton for example any audio track can receive Audio from a VST output, we simply select it as an input and it's done. (same goes for all DAWS I've tried except Cubase and Logic)

There's some tricks with dummy audio busses or by using Group tracks, none of those work for me in Cubase 11, give it a try and see if it works for you:

You could also simplify and record the MIDI to Maschine and then drag-and-drop the Audio, that's what most people do.

On MacOS there are free easy solutions to send audio tracks from the Maschine standalone app to any other SW, like BlackHole, not sure what an equivalent for Windows would be tho

• McClaneonfire

Thank you @darkwaves and @D-One !

I'm on MacOS. Luckily there's the Drag & Drop in Maschine, grateful for that! The export "loop-optimized" option is not really working for me though, as I still have to fiddle / adjust the Audio in Cubase afterwards. So it's better to do longer Songparts in Maschine and then drag it to Cubase :)

Thank you for the Blackhole recommendation!

• Steve jones
    Steve jones Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Probably solved the problem by now but what I do is make a group track, route Maschine stereo output to the group and then create an audio track with the input from the group track. Worth experimenting to see if you can get multiple individual track to record, I don't see why they shouldn't.

• McClaneonfire

Thank you, I will try that out!

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@D-One wrote

Or record the MIDI and use Render Audio in Cubase after that. It’s a really nice function to get Audio tracks from VSTs.

• RafaelsTracks
    RafaelsTracks Member Posts: 24 Member
    Answer ✓

Btw in Cubase 13 you can route every channel into an audio track, so you don't need the group channel workaround anymore.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Good to know. That would probably be worth to upgrade…

• D-One

That's great info, thanks for sharing. I also marked your answer as correct @RafaelsTracks, for those who end up here looking for a solution.

I certainly won't be paying 159 / 200$ just to be able to send VST-Out to Audio Tracks. Ouch...