How do I separate multi-instrument groups?

Bubba Ganush
Bubba Ganush Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited June 2022 in Maschine

I am using 2 keyboards. The 1st is plugged in via MIDI cable, the 2nd is plugged in via USB.

My goal is to assign a single sound sample to each keyboard, then when I switch groups, to have another unique set of samples dedicated to each keyboard.

Currently, I am isolating each sample to its corresponding keyboard via the Sound - Channel - Input - MIDI source. However, this results in the sound being played regardless of which group I am in.

How can I separate each keyboard combination into groups, so that when I switch groups, only the current group's assigned samples play?

For example:

Group A - keyboard #1 plays guitar, keyboard #2 plays bass

Group B - keyboard #1 plays vocals, keyboard #2 plays violin

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

in maschines preferences is a midi setting, where you can say midi goes to the current selected group, you have to set the default to focus. But I'm not sure if it works with 2 keyboards. You could additionally, if you use kontakt, open the 2 instruments in one kontakt instance (per group/or pad) and set the first sound to midi ch1 the second to midi ch2, of course same for the keyboards. Other solution could be to simply use the solo function,press and hold solo button and press a group button.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

in maschines preferences is a midi setting, where you can say midi goes to the current selected group, you have to set the default to focus. But I'm not sure if it works with 2 keyboards. You could additionally, if you use kontakt, open the 2 instruments in one kontakt instance (per group/or pad) and set the first sound to midi ch1 the second to midi ch2, of course same for the keyboards. Other solution could be to simply use the solo function,press and hold solo button and press a group button.

• Bubba Ganush

Thanks for the fast response Uwe!

I got this working, but a little differently than you suggested. I assigned a channel to each sound sample, then use the keyboard to select the channel. This successfully isolates each sound.

However, I'm still confused about something: when I configure the Group channel input routings, no input is detected. I'm only able to input the keyboard via the Sound channel input routings. I can understand if the Sound input routings take priority, but in this case what is the purpose of group channel input routing? Any chance you can elaborate on a practical example?

Thanks much!

• Uwe303

Midi to a pad sends, obviously, just midi signals to that one pad. But if you use group midi in you can olay, for example, all pads with the keyboard, let's say, from C3 on, if you want to. So C3 will play pad one in that group C#3 will play pad two and so on.

• Bubba Ganush

Thank you Uwe, you've been most helpful!