What's the story with bluetooth on Maschine+ (wireless midi anyone)?

KIRI
KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

hi all. Just received my replacement M+ (third time lucky I hope after two faulty devices in a row!). Since I recently got some 'WIDI' connectors (bluetooth midi dongles) for my synths, it occurred to me that - with M+ bluetooth functionality (or so it says on the box), this will be a good thing to try out - i.e. wireless midi between M+ hub and synths.

So I read through the manual (latest version) ... no mention of Bluetooth at all. Checked through each page of all the settings menus on the hardware ... quite possibly I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see anything relating to BT.

Also looked at Bluetooth on my phone and Mac while M+ is powered up - not picking anything from M+.

Can anyone advise if the hardware does actually have any bluetooth functionality and how it's activated? thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

There is no Bluetooth functionality on the M+.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

There is no Bluetooth functionality on the M+.

• KIRI

ok thanks - that's a shame - why on earth is the BT symbol on the packaging for then I wonder? maybe a future update (we can hope) .. I'll experiment with WIDI dongles on the M+ midi ports anyway and see how that goes.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru
  • KIRI

for sure. just finished downloading all the sounds, will be getting hands on with the beast today/tomorrow.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

It says nothing about bluetooth on my box?

Is this a new M+?

Maybe the hardware has been updated on latest revision or such?

• KIRI

quite possibly - this aroused my curiosity, did a quick google and I couldn't find any official info from NI, but I did come across this post on the old forum, where D-One states: "There's a Bluetooth module on the unit but currently it is not used for anything, maybe later in future updates."

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/using-bluetooth-headphones-with-maschine.438187/

so have to wait and see - be great if someone from NI could shed light on it!

• KIRI

ok - this is quite interesting - clearly I'm not the only one getting confused by the Bluetooth claim. US retailer Perfect Circuit state in their product description:

"Maschine+ contains WiFi and Bluetooth compatibility, making it a breeze to connect wireless MIDI controllers or joining a network of other devices for Ableton Link synchronization." So at least one major retailer is still selling new M+ products on the basis of this (apparently non-existent) functionality - which leads me to believe that they are using out-dated copy possibly from press releases / trade information that was supplied before it actually came to market (and by which time the functionality was scrapped).

Ok pure speculation - but I'd love to know what the real story is.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

I bought mine back in December 2020. There's a wifi and bluetooth icon on the right edge of the box - towards the top. Mine had a little sticker covering half of the icons though. I'm not sure if it's a NI sticker or from the store I bought it from.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,002 Guru

It's on my box too...

• KIRI

same here! I'm going to ask NI support for info on this and get back to you guys here if/when I hear.

• AlexBuga
    AlexBuga Member Posts: 26 Helper

Usually these wifi chips have FM tuners and Bluetooth all in one, but not necessarily enabled.

So probably they have a Wifi chip that does bluetooth, and they need to conform to FCC, CE stuff and print the logo on the box.

• Derek N
    Derek N Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2023

I’ve been thinking about purchasing a maschine plus with my op-1 field. Can anyone confirm if this is capable of using Bluetooth or not? I’ve seen the pics of Bluetooth on the box and kinda confused. This is my deciding factor on purchasing the device. The op-1 field has no midi ports on it, unless it’s possible to us the usb cable for midi without a pc?

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 201 Advisor

TIL: yes and no to BT on M+