No sound when playing Komplete Kontrol from Instrument rack

wilki
wilki Member Posts: 35 Member

Hi. Please can someone help out with this as I am completely out of ideas.

I have been trying to set up KK integration with Ableton 11 as an alternative to using the VST, but cannot seem to get it to work.

I followed the setup guide step-by-step copying both the KK Script and instrument racks into the appropriate locations and set the Control Surface device to KK Mk2. So far so good.

I can see the KK VST and AU instruments in my instrument rack.

However, when I drag the KK VST instrument from the instrument rack into am empty MIDI track, nothing happens. The VST does not pop up? If I manually load the standalone application I can load an instrument and play something, but after recording, nothing plays in Ableton?

Hopefully, there is a quick fix for this, but I am bang out of ideas.

Any help appreciated. Have attached screenshots if that helps.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

Hey @wilki there seems to be some confusion in here.

If you have a S Series MK2 keyboard, there is no need for Ableton racks, the whole integration is now automatic, as explained here: How to Integrate KOMPLETE KONTROL with Your DAW

In your VST folder here:

The Komplete Kontrol AU instrument rack should not be here, the Komplete Kontrol VST rack should not be here and the Komplete Kontrol S-Series.dll is a driver not a VST file, not all dll files are VST files. You should delete these 3 files, copy the Komplete Kontrol dll file you find where Native Access has installed it and copy this Komplete Kontrol.dll file to this folder.

Maybe this little video can help you:

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

If you look in your list of VST2 plugins in Ableton do you see a Komplete Kontrol plug-in listed?

• wilki

Yes, although I only see VST3 and VST in Ableton. The file path between the standalone and Ableton preferences seems to be lined up though.

• wilki

Have the same issue. Whenever I select the VST from Instruments it doesnt launch anything. I just get the following?

• wilki

Have checked the script and it all looks correct. Have no idea what to do now :-( Any help massively appreciated. Might have to uninstall/reinistall but not confident it will fix it.

• JesterMgee

VST = VST2

KK (AFAIK, not been keeping up) is not provided as VST3 yet

Since you are on Windows, the AU rack is not going to work as that is mac only, get rid of that.

Need to know if ABLETON can see your KK plugin. Usually when you load an Instrument rack that has a plugin saved within it, if that plugin is not available to Ableton then it will not load....

Do you see KK listed here as a plugin?

Can you drag that onto that instrument rack?

If so, save that as the new rack!

• wilki
    edited June 2022

OK, this could be the issue then. I have KK listed in my plugins list, but in the VST3 folder?

The plugin works OK and I can drag into an empty instrument rack.

However, that's not ideal as I have to use the mouse to click the keyboard icon each time I go into each instrument to activate the keyboard. Its a bit of a clunky workaround and not fully integrated. Using the mouse so much is something I wanted to get away from.

From what I have read to get full integration its best to use the instrument rack version of KK. There has to be fix out there. Anything else I should try?

• JesterMgee

If so, save that as the new rack!

• wilki

Thanks, I get where you are coming from, but it would be great if I can get it working as recommended by NI through the KK instrument version.

I can use your idea as a workaround, but its not ideal as I have to use the mouse to perform a lot of the actions instead of full integration. Really appreciate your help so far.

I’ve raised a couple of tickets with NI so hopefully they can get it working.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited June 2022

The last release of KK included VST3… just an FYI!😜

• wilki

Has anyone else had the issue of KK instrument not launching when dropping into a midi track?

• Blindeddie

using the setup method outlined on this page, (on Windows 10, Ableton Lite 11) I am unable to recreate the issue you are facing. Creating instrument racks from scratch also works for both VST2 and VST3

How to Integrate KOMPLETE KONTROL with Your DAW – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

• wilki

Thanks so much for giving that a go. It’s so odd, as I have followed that exact method that’s outlined in the guide.

Ive copied and pasted the latest script and instrument files into the fight locations a few times, but still the same result.

The fact the plug-in version works suggests that it’s to do with the script of where Ableton is looking for the VST’s. The VST file paths shown on the stand-alone and ableton preferences seem to be the same though. Urgh.

Thinking of doing an uninstall/reinstall. Bit drastic, but out of ideas. Presume I have to let NI know so they don’t think I am installing a second copy.

• wilki

One last crack at this. I have noticed that whilst the VST location path is the same in both Standalone and Ableton preferences, a different location is shown in in Native Access. Could this be why its not working? Have attached screenshots.

• Blindeddie
    edited June 2022

Your second screenshot is of the library locations, not the VST/Plugin Locations... Post a screenshot of the "Plug-ins" --> "Locations" tab in Prefs. By Default, NI installs "VST3" plugins to the following folder.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 , so that one looks a little off in Ableton prefs. Just navigate to that folder I listed and see if "Komplete Kontrol.vst3 is in that folder. Also check the Ableton Custom VST3 folder to see if that file exists. Also, the VST2 custom folder does not look right...check to make sure Komplete Kontrol.dll resides at that location. if not then that may be the issue as the Instrument rack file is set to use the VST2 version of KK.

Edit: I also wanted to ask if you have tried to create an instrument rack using KK from scratch? If not, give that a try and see if that resolves the issue.

• wilki

Thanks so much for trying to help.

OK, I have ensured that the default VST3 folder and VST2 folder are aligned with Ableton, as per the screenshots.

One thing I did notice was that KompleteKontrol.dll was not in VST2 customer folder, so I copied that file across from its previous location. Again, this is shown in the screenshot.

When you say create an instrument from scratch, what do you mean. As soon as I try and create a KK instrument and place it onto a blank MIDI track I get the following:-

Thanks again, for taking the time to have a look. I really thought the VST paths might be the issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Everything aligned and have run a rescan.