Komplete Kontrol S49 versus Komplete Kontrol Logic Plug in-Integration issue[s]?

vertint01
vertint01 Member Posts: 18 Member

[I posted this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared. Apologies if you're seeing it twice.]

I'm building out a string quartet arrangement using the various solo voices within Kontakt. I'm playing a Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk 2, and Kontakt 2.7.2 is running as an AU plugin in Logic Pro X v 10.7.4 on a Mac mini M1 running under Rosetta. Mac OS 12.3.1.

I have my four tracks set up-cello, viola, and two violins, each a separate software instrument instantiation of Komplete Kontrol. So, four LPX tracks. I expect that as I move between them in the DAW, the sound being played by the S49 would change accordingly–going from the "cello" track to the "viola" track would hop me from "playing" the cello to "playing" the viola.

But it isn't happening. The S49 keeps playing whatever "voice" I'd most recently manually set, regardless of which track I've got selected in DAW. Opening the Komplete Kontrol SW instrument on each DAW track shows it set to the appropriate sound-cello, viola, or violin. But when I actually try to play them on the S49, it's always playing the violin, no matter which track I have selected. 

Changing out of the NI ecosystem altogether-say, selecting a track playing a bass instrument from another vendor-changes the sound being played, but the S49 display still shows the Kontakt "violin solo" as selected.

I'm sure I'm doing something totally boneheaded, but I can't figure it out. Anyone feel like helping an idiot out?

Best Answer

• vertint01
    Answer ✓

So this problem has finally ironed itself out. I now have a new and exciting issue that will appear in another thread, coming soon to a support forum near you!😎

Thanks for all the help with this. Very much appreciated!

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

I'm slightly confused whereas you are using the Kontakt plug-in or the Komplete Kontrol plug-in in Logic. The multi timbral Kontakt instruments are only possible with the Kontakt plug-in. This is how to set one up in Logic: Using KONTAKT as a Multi-timbral Instrument in Logic Pro X

Now, if you want to have all the controls for each instrument with lightguides and everything, you would need to create one Komplete Kontrol track by instrument, cello, viola and violins. You'll then be able to navigate through them and have all controls available.

Does that answer your questions or did I get it wrong ?

• vertint01

Thanks, @Jeremy_NI It’s more like the latter. I’m using sounds that appear to be from Kontakt within the Komplete Kontrol plug-in exactly as you say (sounds chosen in the browser interface on the S49). There are four different tracks in Logic (one for each instrument), each using the Komplete Kontrol plug-in as the “software instrument.”

That’s why I’m puzzled/frustrated. My understanding is that this is exactly how things should be arranged to get the full benefit of the S49.

Really appreciate your help.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @vertint01 Ok, I see. If the issue is with Komplete Kontrol, then, 2 things:

1. Make sure to give Full Disk Access to Komplete Kontrol and Logic: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS
    2. Since you are using an M1 computer, make sure that you run Logic in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

Now, does it work as expected if you do these 2 things ?

• eggpls
    eggpls Member Posts: 15 Member

if i'm understanding your question correctly, you're basically observing that you have multiple komplete kontrol instances on separate tracks, and clicking on the tracks does not switch the hardware to the new komplete kontrol instance? If that's the case I believe all you have to do is open up the KK plugin instance on the track you want to switch to and click on the little icon with the piano keys on the top right corner and the hardware should switch to that instance. A bit frustrating for sure but that's what I've generally had to do with the same set up as you.

• Jeremy_NI

@eggpls The expected behaviour is that when you switch from one Komplete Kontrol track to another one, the focus on the selected track should be automatic. Do you have an Intel mac or a M1 mac ?

• eggpls

I've got an M1 Mac. I assume a lot of my general issues come because of that, so they've been pretty expected and manageable. The automatic switching of focus to the selected track is something that isn't entirely broken I believe, but it's definitely inconsistent and I'm used to opening the plugin on the selected track to manually switch the hardware over to my selected instance.

• Jeremy_NI

@eggpls Are you running Logic in Rosetta mode ? Then the autofocus should work, even with a M1 processor.

• eggpls

@Jeremy_NI I am. There must be something buggy about the integration then, because every time i switch tracks (specifically clicking on a track in Logic), the hardware successfully focuses on the new track in terms of when I play the keyboard, it's only the hardware GUI and focus lights on the keybed that do not autofocus.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @eggpls What kind of M1 processor is it ? M1, M1 Max, M1 Pro ?

• vertint01
    Answer ✓

So this problem has finally ironed itself out. I now have a new and exciting issue that will appear in another thread, coming soon to a support forum near you!😎

Thanks for all the help with this. Very much appreciated!

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@vertint01 How did you solve it in the end?