Colour coding Tips?

Baldadi
Baldadi Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

Hi there,

just bought Machine MK3 (I already own a S49-mk2 KK keyboard). Trying to learn to effectively use the pads. Colours should be helpful but a lot of expansions etc are not colour coded.

I get lost or have to check the pad-content constantly to see what I am doing...

Do you guys have any tips for most effective use of colour coding the pads?

• Colours per instrument type?
  • Conventions a la Battery for kits?
  • Colours for type of Group? (Instruments, Sample, Kit...)

Any suggestions and/or how you incorporate this in your workflow (I use Logic next to Maschine) are welcome!

Thx

Tagged:

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod

Most effective will depend on your taste, the more you complicate the harder it is to burn into your memory and possibly takes longer to setup if you're not a template kind of guy. I use 3 main colors for production regardless of what software I am using, something easy to memorize like:

🟧 Drums

🟧 Samples

🟥 Bass

🟦 Instruments

The Group order also is roughly always the same. Then I reserve 2 other extra colors for lead vocals and hook Group/Bus, so effectively I use 5 colors ussually, i tried more then this like having colors for particular instruments but then it gets too complicated for me to tell what is what at a glance and a raimbow project that looks like an RBG gaming keyboard or a xmas tree is not for me.

For Drum Groups I use PAD # placement rather than colors, Pad1 is always kick, Pad2 snare etc... So in most projects i know what is what.

• Hippstar
    Hippstar Member Posts: 9 Member

I'm using the same colours.

Purple for Aux/FX tracks.

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

I use orange for drums, red for bass then it gets a bit random eg pads vs keys