Is there anyway I can remap the pitchbend on the A61 to a CC?

Simoof
Simoof Member Posts: 11 Member

I think it would be ideal for vibrato control on violin patches and other where spring back to a 0 point would enhance realism. i have tried in KK midi assignment thing, and the controller editor kontakt installed which I believe is useless to me. grr.

I can find plenty of articles for the S series, but the A series seems terribly neglected software wise. Just because there's a more expensive model does not make it a budget device before anyone tries that line!I've seen those responses and that's rude. :)

Thanks in advance to the nice answers. :P to the rest.

Best Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Many modern DAWS let you remap incoming ccs, but guessing you looked into that?

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    Answer ✓

With cubase it should be possible https://forums.steinberg.net/t/input-transformer-how-to-transform-pitchbend-to-cc/129753

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

Kontakt comes with a multiscript that does this straight up.

Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Many modern DAWS let you remap incoming ccs, but guessing you looked into that?

• Simoof

I did :D I believe pitch bend is not a CC but a unique midi message. It's why I think I need to remap in on the controller side. I will persist.

• Uwe303

Hello,

but @Simchris is correct, you have to convert it with midi modifiers, or directly in kontakt, there must be a script already if i remember correctly. But you can only do that with full kontakt version. I unfortunately couldn't find a tutorial.

• Simoof

Thank you

I have Cubase 12 Pro so I will look at creating a script for the A61 as I am going round in circles trying to find one premade. I will of course share if I make anything good ish and fill that void.

The S series makes it easy to do with the controller editor. I have a samson graphite but its keys are horrible so I opted to spend more on the A61. But the cheapo one can also be edited easily in a controller set up. the A61 pushes you to change the controls in Komplete Kontrol, but KK does not have a section for pitch bend.

Cubase automation also pushes me back to Komplete Kontrol btw. Thats why I ended up here as I was hoping I was missing something and not a case of a basic feature missing. I like the available buttons lighting with Komplete Kontrol and I hope I can get it looking the same with a script but I have a sinking feeling I am going to lose that functionality. Thanks for a little more information.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

With cubase it should be possible https://forums.steinberg.net/t/input-transformer-how-to-transform-pitchbend-to-cc/129753

• Simoof

Thanks I will give that a shot.

The challenges of pitch bend are looking at the raw data when centered it sends a value of 8192. It increments by 128 to 16,383 in up position and 0 down. So the resolution on the a61 is good to convert to a cc code with a 127 resolution. I have a bit of a week so I might not get round to this til next weekend.

Just to anyone who has tried making a script: If I create a script, does this get used in addition to the controller support for track controls? I found the buttons are not sending midi data at all so I can not map them on a custom script. Well not the easy way anyways.

• Uwe303

That's no problem, Pb is 14 bit (different on A61 but anyway), 2 times 7 bit, msb, lsb, and while converting you can just use the msb (most significant bit) and ignore the lsb (least significant bit) - so pass through the msb and chance cc number/controller type, and ch if you need.

• Simoof

Ok got it all doing what I needed thank you everyone.

Step by step for anyone as daft as me in cubase 12:

1. Click on Project and select Project Input transformer
    2. Select a module by ticking the box
    3. Click on No Pre-set and in factory pre-sets you should select "Change PitchBend to MIDI CC1"
    4. Click the edit slanty e icon on this line to edit it.
    5. In the bottom box I edited the CC 1 to CC3 (I already have a CC 1 thank you very much)
    6. At the top I clicked again on the pre-set name and saved this changing the description to "Change PitchBend to MIDI CC3"
    7. Now on the VST tracks I want this new behaviour, I click in the inspector and next to Input transformer I select Project.

And now I can assign pitch bend to my VST instruments. It's not as easy as other controllers and thats a bit sad. But I suppose this keeps pitchbend where I want it. I never want it.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

Kontakt comes with a multiscript that does this straight up.

• Simoof

Thank you everyone - got new tools at my disposal now. Just need to adjust my work flow and all is good. so used to changing behaviour at a hardware level.