KK S61 MK2 key transmitting a much higher velocity

thgmusic
thgmusic Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited April 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I have a Komplete Kontrol 61 Mk2. Yesterday, after years of reliable service, the Ab below middle C began transmitting a much higher velocity than any of the other keys. I just tested this in Logic. Notes around the Ab came in at 45-50, while the Ab in question was 102-127. All this while I tried very hard to use the same pressure on each note. When I made an extreme effort, I could keep the Ab under control, but that's not helpful in a real-time playing situation.

Thoughts on how to fix this? Software reset? Could it be a hardware issue?

Thanks,

Brad

Tagged:

Comments

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Sounds like a hardware issue since the velocity is controlled by the kb itself… best to contact Hardware Support…link is on the Main support page.

• pranaearth
    pranaearth Member Posts: 50 Helper
    edited April 2022

I had the opposite happen to my 61MKII. b4 was playing at such a low velocity, I couldn't hear the note at all. NI gave me a reasonable price for repair, but I ended up buying the S88MKII instead. Reach out to NI Support, they'll get you sorted

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 143 Helper

you need to open it up and clean the velocity strip/membrane. Alcohol and a q tip. Take note of what key it is. There are videos on youtube showing who to open it. The membrane strips come off in octaves, so you dont have to do the whole keybed. its not that difficult, basic technical ability required.

Basically you have dust or gunk under the carbon tips which make contact with the velocity circuit board, cleaning both tips, and both areas on the circuit board will get you back to normal. the only tricky part is putting the strips back on, as there are little rubber nipples which you push into the holes, you have to make sure all of these are fully inserted, if even one of them are not all the way in, then you will have a gap leading to an incorrect velocity.

• rdalcroft
    edited April 2022

Here is a link to one of the videos showing how to do this:

• Stormchild
    Stormchild Member Posts: 50 Helper

I'm having the exact same problem with my S49 mk1 as of a couple days ago. My middle C is suddenly transmitting much higher velocity values than all my other keys. Pressing it lightly gives me a velocity of about 100. Pressing it as lightly as I can still results in about 35. All other keys are still working as expected. I've had my S49 mk1 since July 2016 and I've never had any issues with the keys until now.

• Stormchild

I saw a couple videos about cleaning the contacts, but that seems to be a solution for keys that are either dead or sending very low velocity values even when pressed hard. I have the opposite problem.

• rdalcroft
    edited April 2022

Believe me, this is your issue, there are 2 contacts for each key, one slightly shorter that the other. Velocity is calculated as the difference in speed/time it takes from the first contact is made to the second contact.

it can either be dust, grease, or the actual rubber nipples which hold the rubber contacts to the PCB board.

it’s not hard to do, it will take you 30 mins tops.

just mark your keys that you have the issue with.

after cleaning make very sure the rubber nipples are all in their holes properly. Leaving one of these only half way in will result in incorrect velocity’s.

wish you luck.

• rdalcroft
    edited April 2022

Excuse the typos!! Another GOOD reason for the ability to edit our posts!! Come on NI the last forum let us do this.

ignore this. Some helpful person explained to me how. The 3 dots.

stupid me

• Stormchild

Thanks! My keyboard is long out of warranty and this doesn't sound too difficult, so I will probably attempt this soon. I have a support case open. Just waiting to hear what they say in response to my latest email before I try a DIY repair.

• rdalcroft

Well good luck either way. Support are pretty helpful, though I am not sure what they offer out of warranty? Hopefully if they offer to fix it it won’t be too much.

• Stormchild

I ended up sending it in after discussing it with support. The cost was ¥9900 (about $75 US). The replacement they sent just arrived yesterday; did a quick test and everything seems to be working properly.

• rdalcroft

Probably the more sensible option.

did you get the same unit back or a replacement?

either way. At least it will have a warranty on the repair/replacement. 6 months if I’m not mistaken? Could be wrong?

• Stormchild

They send a refurbished unit so you don't have to wait for the repair. I sent it in on Wednesday and had the replacement on Saturday. Really good turnaround time.

The replacement is mostly fine. The displays under the knobs are noticeably dimmer than my original unit, which is a bit disappointing. They're still usable; just a little harder to see — especially next to the bright light guide, which (unlike the LEDs in the buttons) cannot be dimmed. There's also a bit of scuffing on the reflective plastic around the pitch/mod strips, but it's barely noticeable unless you shine a light directly on it, and my S49 had a little nick in one of the black keys, so I consider that a fair trade.

The replacement had pretty old firmware, which initially threw me off, as it wasn't detecting the polarity of my Yamaha sustain pedal correctly. Fortunately, updating the firmware sorted that out.

There's a 90 day warranty on the replacement. Hopefully I won't need it though!

• klodv
    klodv Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Salut,

J'avais la touche mi qui n'émettait plus de son, j'ai fais le nettoyage avec de l'alcool comme indiqué sur la vidéo et ça à marcher. Toutes les touches fonctionnent sans problème 😁. Ils m'avaient fait un devis à plus de 250 euros quand même avec envoie à mes frais.

Bref c'est nickel merci pour la vidéo 👌👍