Having issues with Kontrol Z2 and vinyl playback

Tidyboyd
Tidyboyd Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Just spent over a grand on a Reloop RP-8000 Mk2 and a Kontrol Z2, set it up and everything seems to work properly but when playing any type of real vinyl, there's significant distortion whenever music is playing through the speakers and the volume seems to fluctuate up and down by several decibels.

It's absolutely fine with anything digital from computer to timecode vinyl (Although there is the whirring sound from the timecode vinyl that's still audible)

Things I've tried but haven't made a difference:

• Changed the cables
  • Tried many different pieces of vinyl
  • All knobs turned to 12 o'clock so don't think it's a gain issue
  • Checked all connections throughout the wiring, no issues I can see
  • Did everything on the Native Instruments troubleshooting video linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbfVFqkKOA&t=5s
  • Made sure the ground wire is firmly attached
  • Checked to see if it was one speaker and not the other (Both speakers are fine, tested on other system)
  • Made sure the turntable is connected to Phono, not Line
  • Altered the sample rate from 256 to 1024

It seems to me the problem lies with the Z2. Is there something I'm missing here? The ability to record audio playback from vinyl to computer is the main reason I purchased the mixer in the first place, and it sounds really dreadful. Is this a common issue with this mixer?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

https://soundcloud.com/no-problem-7/kontrol-z2-issue/s-vAFdXB8qIZ1?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tidyboyd
    Answer ✓

I've discovered the culprit. I bought a brand new Ortofon Scratch needle and for some reason, this is what's causing the distorted sound, a brand new needle. Old one works fine.

I hope this helps someone else!

Answers

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 134 Pro

Check if you're not using the line output of the TT into the phono preamp of the mixer.

• Tidyboyd
    Answer ✓

I've discovered the culprit. I bought a brand new Ortofon Scratch needle and for some reason, this is what's causing the distorted sound, a brand new needle. Old one works fine.

I hope this helps someone else!

• Tidyboyd

Hey man, thanks for the response. I sorted it out, the answer is above. It took me 24 hours of scratching my head and going to town to get new cables but it was the bloody new needle all along.

All's well that ends well :)