VST3 support - how is it going?

Comments

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 292 Pro

Flexi

All these things add up, but everyone wants VST3, cause shiny shiny.

I think you'll find the reason that many want VST3 is that any new plugins are only released in that format.

PDC is yet another thing that has been repeatedly called for but totally ignored. Given that we have been led to believe that the direction that Maschine was /is headed was to be able to complete tracks in it, that seems a little inconsistent.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro

Yeah, but this happens when there is no clear direction from a product-vision and -roadmap perspective. Then people are left to their own devices, and simply start working on things they like. See it all the time.

OR, the original code is not documented (well), and/or hard to understand by anyone else than it's author(s), and new engineers simply cannot or dare not to touch it.

• coongaman
    coongaman Member Posts: 16 Helper

And NI is supposed to be a innovative company? ๐Ÿ˜

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro

I think they originally were. They were really pushing the boundaries with Reaktor, Kontakt, Traktor and Maschine. Their hardware-designs, sw/hw integration, and UX patterns are really top notch.

But they are really lacking in the longer term maintenance area. Either they don't care or are not able to do so.

Only designing, producing and releasing innovative products, and then abandoning them after some time is not cutting it anymore these days.

• tempsperdu

Are we allowed to ask why Hammy Havoc has been deleted?

• coongaman

yes, they were. I have been with them since Generator ๐Ÿค“

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

The team just mentioned that they are working through the current roadmap and working on re-estimating priorities. Admitely, VST3 was on our roadmap already (we mentioned before that we're adding third-party support for NKS VST3s) and we will share an update and more insights on how we're going to approach the topic in the coming months.

I know this isn't a ton of info to go for now but we're committed to share more as soon as we get the full scope.

• Nikal Might
    Nikal Might Member Posts: 24 Member

I'm assuming most of the VST3 functionality has already been implemented as the NI VST3 plugins work well and I haven't noticed any weird behaviour.

I'd be OK with third party plugins behaving a bit weird if I could at least use them. The pace of phasing out VST2 support is advancing fast and all the other DAWs I use already have VST3 support and have had it for several years, which makes it particularly frustrating to not have it in Maschine.

• tempsperdu
    edited June 2022

I could imagine that one of the more immediately noticeable problems is going to be how VST3's are going to be presented as a menu. Even without all the extra space needed, as it stands, the menu is pretty much no longer fit for purpose, (not that it was ever good), for those with a lot of plugins. There seems to have been no indication, so far, of them even considering that.

• coongaman
    edited June 2022

I am really amazed on how Ableton made their solution to this. Although simple I think it is genious. Also love how you can set up your own favourites.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Can you please remind them that VST3 without PDC is severely crippled.

• tempsperdu

Hard to believe this was a company that once inspired people...............................

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    edited June 2022

We'll definitely mention that as soon as they get back to us with a bit more insights.