Connecting two (or more) similar midi controllers to maschine/maschine+ (at the same time)

rmou
rmou Member Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi, 

I have three A&H xone:k2 that i want to use as midi controllers to directly access multiple sends/volumes/synth parameters in maschine+.

Problem is that, as maschine software (which i must use to midi learn the parameters) doesnt take into account the midi channel (so it seems.. maybe im wrong), and since each k2 sends exactly the same CC/note for each fader/knob/button i cannot use the 3 controllers (mappings get overwritten across controllers). 

I have the three k2s linked using x:link (so a single usb cable and 2 ethernet cables), each on a different midi channel. But i also tried connecting each k2 individually using a usb cable for each but since the name each k2 sends (which is used to present itself to the OS) is the same, and since maschine doesnt provide a way of renaming devices, i end up where i started: basically i can only use 1 of the k2s at a time.

Not sure if i was clear enough but please request additional info if needed.

So... i'm asking... anyone knows a workaround that allows me to use my 3 k2s simultaneously? 

If we are to consider using m+ in a live situation then we need a decent midi learn functionality implementation. Not taking into account the midi channel in the mappings is something i cannot understand.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

AFAIK the MIDI channel can be set on the Group and Sound level. It’s in the Settings under Channel->Group/Sound->Input->MIDI.

• filip pietrzykowski
    filip pietrzykowski Member Posts: 44 Helper

no, this is in theory only,

one of the biggest issues with Maschine - all incoming midi CC are summed to 1 channel,

no matter how you set up instruments or Maschine, you need to be aware of this problem,

this means you can use only 128 CC - from 0 to 127 instead of 16 channels x 128 CCs.

Answering to the question, I think it's impossible to use 3x k2 at once with the Maschine,

as k2 is pre-programmed for all 128 CCs, you would need to program individually each K2, for different midi CC, make notes and move on one by one

I use personally Novation XL control as a audio mixer via midi in the Maschine,

it was tricky to programm, had to make notes which CC I use...but doable

• rmou
    rmou Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2022

thanks for reaching out first of all both of you.

Problem is that k2 doesnt offer the possibility of manually mapping CC/notes like novation does through components app.

There's a 'semi' workaround which is to use layering functionality that k2 has. So basically each of the k2 is put into a different layer (it has 3) and in layering stage 5 (check the manual if needing to know more) i can have each k2 sending a different CC/note for each control.

Ill keep hoping that NI makes improvements here as i considerer this a primordial feature to perform live (midi mapping and the whole midi implementation of the maschine.. which at the moment is no short than amateur).

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@filip pietrzykowski wrote:

one of the biggest issues with Maschine - all incoming midi CC are summed to 1 channel,

no matter how you set up instruments or Maschine, you need to be aware of this problem

I don’t know how I could test this properly... Do you have any proof for that assertion?

• Analog Sol
    Analog Sol Member Posts: 18 Member

You could try a Bome box. It should be able to listen to the K2 cc’s and spit out whatever you want.

I have one and it has been a little magic secret weapon for whatever midi problem I encounter.

https://www.bome.com/

• Josho
    Josho Member Posts: 5 Member

""There's a 'semi' workaround which is to use layering functionality that k2 has. So basically each of the k2 is put into a different layer (it has 3) and in layering stage 5 (check the manual if needing to know more) i can have each k2 sending a different CC/note for each control.""

Hey there. maybe am late a bit. but did this actually work ? with knobs or only faders and buttons ?

yesterday I encountered the same issue and sent a ticket and they sent me back here.

if it worked please let me know

am mostly using it for live drumming. maybe go back to push or LPP3 with ableton or Bitwig probably easier :P.