Is it possible to edit a Maschine project file in notepad?

manolo.floyd
manolo.floyd Member Posts: 13 Member

Hello everyone!

I was working on a project last day and today I open the file and Maschine crashes without any log. After that, I cannot get Maschine to open again, it crashes after the Loading frame with the Logo.

So I had to delete the registers and the database and can open a clean Maschine again with any other project, but as soon as I open that project from yesterday, it will crash again. Looking in the old forum I was thinking what did I do different than normally, and I remembered I tried to experiment and used Side chain compression with four kicks but I did a strange connection and possibly made a loop between all the side chains activating each other if my connection is somehow a bug.

So I was wondering if it's possible to open the project as a text and deleting those connections manually? In normal windows notepad it shows only gerogliphics. Is there any other workaround for this problem?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,035 mod
    Answer ✓

As far as I know that's not possible, i also think you would need a different editor than the note pad, and then you have to know what is what. And i would highly recommend to make a backup immediately, and scan your drive for errors. It may be the case your hard drive is dying. I jave, for example a cloud drive where all my projects get uploaded instantly after i saved them. Can be really frustrating if you loose a big long time project that way.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,035 mod
    Answer ✓

As far as I know that's not possible, i also think you would need a different editor than the note pad, and then you have to know what is what. And i would highly recommend to make a backup immediately, and scan your drive for errors. It may be the case your hard drive is dying. I jave, for example a cloud drive where all my projects get uploaded instantly after i saved them. Can be really frustrating if you loose a big long time project that way.

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 130 Advisor

It's a binary format, you can't edit it at all since there's no published spec for the format

• manolo.floyd

It's a shame. I lost my project due to that (not so smart) loop I made with the Side chain. Is that a solvable bug or should I avoid to do that again in the future?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

1) You could try to contact Technical Support.

There may be error in Maschine. And generally Maschine should not crash even if project file is corrupted. There should be many checks to avoid it, but you know.... One skips one check of hundreds and it has been hit...

Also NI Maschine programmers could recover the project, if they have time and will. It might be easy, it might be hard. It depends what the problem is.

2) If certain project makes problem when Maschine starts and you konw which project causes problem, no need to play with registry/database.... Just take good project rename it to wrong one and place it to the folder where the wrong one is (before it rename/move the wrong one for later use, if needed)...

• manolo.floyd

I can open Maschine now opening just any other project from the file manager directly, it forces Maschine to change the startup loading files. But the side chain loop I never tried again...