[Guide] Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

2»

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod
    edited June 2022

Hey @HammyHavoc I think you misunderstood me here. I have Reaper installed and checked before answering. You pinged me in a post asking specifically about sidechain inputs in Cubase, I assumed that there was a similar sidechain routing option in Reaper that I didn't know of, so I asked for a screenshot so I could compare with Cubase and forward these informations when trying to find answers, no slant here or asking for "evidence". No need to get so aggressive.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod
    edited June 2022

Hey @HammyHavoc It seems to be a Cubase issue, I could reproduce this behaviour with any VSTs that has multiple audio inputs, like VCV Rack 2, as you can see, for Analog Rytm here:

I would recommend to contact Steinberg support or post in their forum. If you desperately need to record the input 1 or 1/2 in Maschine as a VST in Cubase, we would recommend using the Maschine 2 FX plug-in.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,241 Expert

I am not sure if i fully understood what is the issue here, but as far as i know ports 1/2 has to be used by default, by the base instrument or fx which will responsible for the sidechain, aka the "master" instrument... thus what is left for the rest sidechain modules, are the remaining ports (3/4, 5/6 etc).

In simple words, the "master" sidechain instrument occupies by definition the default ports, which are usually the 1/2, therefore the user have to use the remain available ports. So, there is no point for the port 1/2 to be visible (since it is already occupied). Make sense? or i missed something?

• KennyV9
    KennyV9 Member Posts: 16 Member

For what it's worth, I use Cubase too. I tried this routing with Maschine in Cubase, but it seemed like it was getting in the way of my creative process. I learned to use Maschine by itself, and it's not that difficult to learn if you watch the tutorial videos. But for working in Cubase, I use Battery 4 most of the time. It can use the Maschine expansions, so I'm not missing out on that. I have a tendency to work in 4 bar sections, and Maschine loops by default, but Cubase is easy to loop, too.

• Rough3h3
    Rough3h3 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

hi, i have a problem with settings. I did everything as it was written, but when I try to record a midi track in cubase, my midi channel does not receive information, moreover, without changed settings, I hear the plugin sound from machine, after changing there is no sound, and no track detects the midin information

• Klassic1
    Klassic1 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Would i still be able to sample in maschine mk3 with this setup ????

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

Cubase can send audio into maschine's sidechain input for sampling. For example, if you wanted to sample from a hardware synth, you need to route it into Cubase and then into the sidechain of maschine (or use the maschine fx VST as an insert)

Maschine is limited to 4 stereo inputs. The plugin has 3 side chain inputs (input 2, 3 and 4). I never figured out how to get audio into the first input without using the maschine fx plugin, but I've also never actually needed 4 inputs when using it with cubase.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

Sidechain is usually the way to go, didn't work when i tried but might have been my fault. It was, sidechain works fine:

Not sure to be honest, I think if you use the MFX version of Maschine it works: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/sampling-from-cubase-into-maschine-plugin/612590/

But NI seems to have killed the MFX version for VST3:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/12387/will-maschine-fx-be-back-soon/p2

other than that Cubase is quite strange in this regard:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/4041/cubase-maschine-how-to-record-audio