Can we, now, layer multiple sounds/instruments...?

13»

Comments

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

You can save the "Multi" in Kontakt (Save Multi as...), but KK will not save NKS presets for Kontakt Multis, so in order to load, you have to load the Plugin using the method @Brad Yost outlined and then load the Multi in Kontakt. You could also create a KK preset that is an empty instance of Kontakt and then load the Multi so you dont have to Navigate the context menus every time.

• G.B.
    G.B. Member Posts: 73 Helper

Is there any advantage to setting all channels to "omni", instead of channel 1...?

• kaotik78
    kaotik78 Member Posts: 5 Member

Seems this still hasn’t been sorted. It would be helpful to be able to layer multiple NI vst’s I’m the Komplete kontrol hardware and even go as far as being able to save them as a new instrument for easy recall. Maybe there development team is facing a huge backlog, still after 4 years one would think this could be implemented.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

@kaotik78

It has been sorted. KK is just a 'wrapper' to provide an implementation of NKS functions that may be available from the actual playable instrument loaded into it like samplers (Kontakt or Battery) or synthesizers (Reaktor or FM8) for example. KK by itself is not an instrument capable of creating sound.

• Mark Wesse
    Mark Wesse Member Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2023

Admin, can we ignore 'hate speech' instigators?

I've been a paying user since 99...have you???

I m making true statements...the absolute mind blowing brilliance of Kore vs half bake inkomplete kontrol. Something negative has happened at NI and you are too offended/fearful to hear actual users who do real gigs vs a swag of bedroom players driving the NI flagship?

If NI going backwards in comparison to their previous products doesn't bother you then you must not have that history or otherwise you are wilfully helping to bury them. I am emphatic because I am sincerely aware of the regression and I do actually care for the company and German brothers.

• Mark Wesse
    edited March 2023

Komplete kontrol has replaced kore... But only for a single engine despite being the plug host for the k88 which has a great 2 screen ui for headless CPU...um except it doesnt provide layer so will now need to bring a screen anyway...so we get brilliant browsing but no playability :-(

The only logical 'close' replacement is freestyle by new sonic arts (James walker hall...previously did work for ni). This fills the void of a brilliantly programmed host...no preset morphing but otherwise fit for purpose for those wishing to play live performance as a musician vs single track collage...if that makes sense...but you no longer get to use the keyboard browser

Absynth, which is now abandoned anyway, stopped working in Kore else I would still use that

The issue in summary

...Ni builds a brilliant controller keyboard for headless CPU...

THEN

Provides a compatible/browsable host that allows only a single engine plugin which renders the system useless without using another multi engine host

BUT

then using another host, you can't use the multi screen ui brilliance on non NI host (practically)

Hth

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 237 Advisor
    edited March 2023

troll ...made my point. I found the ignore option by going to his account. Whew! And yes, i have been NI customer since they launched.

• Mark Wesse

Really?

You used kore...got used to the excellence, gigged with it and thought heaven had materialised

and then weep when you load up kk and are still weeping 4 years later?

If thats trolling well...hmm; speaking the truth hurts some people I guess

Peace

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,703 mod

Yeah but using Maschine to do that would mean having to deal with Maschine's uselessness when it comes to expression (such as lack of support for aftertouch). I would never use Maschine to play software instruments, it's too limited.

The best approach is using Newsonicarts Freestyle or a similar subhost (Freestyle integrates well with Komplete Kontrol - however we are still waiting for it to get a VST3 update so currently it needs to be run in Rosetta on Mac which is a pain)

• Mark Wesse

Yeah its really sad...as if you shell out the money for a supposedly great browsing interface (which it is) and screens so you can use screenless nav eg for the obvious; live playing etc and then you go to use it (and you have to unwrap/accept the license to find this out) and then you actually find that you cant do THE most basic of things...layer instruments (esp of diff type engines)

I keep saying it...but adding maschine etc and complicating a basics...eg playing a keyboard as per hardware replacement...indicates a new team that have no idea of the foundation of live playing despite the incredible legacies of the past.

AND

You dare to criticise the holy ones and get labelled for trolling?

Please, are there no one else that wants the truth to shine above flattery and help NI to best outcomes?

As mentioned; there are other great hosts etc but then you lose the excellent feature of browsing etc that are waiting for a useful outcome

• evajames
    evajames Member Posts: 5 Member

The term "music texture" describes how many sound layers are mixed to provide a musical composition a sense of depth and richness. The quantity of voices or sections, their relative intensities, and the interactions between them are some examples of characteristics that affect the texture of a piece of music...

• nelligan tetrault
    nelligan tetrault Member Posts: 31 Member

I too wish Komplete kontrol would allow for hosting multiple instruments inside of it.

Unless i'm doing something wrong? What would be the best approach for A/B testing different sounds on each midi track of a song?

A) I can have multiple KK instances on all of my miditracks, already preloaded. When in need of A/B testing, I duplicate the desired track, change the instrument in the new instance. Mute/solo each track.

This gets messy rapidly as it overcluster my project (what if I want to do A/B/C testing) or if I have effects on the tracks. Waste of cpu usage too

B) Maschine sounds like the perfect host for the job... Almost.

Like @Mark Wesse pointed it out. I Kinda lose the whole purpose of using the S88 mk2 for fast browsing screen. The keyboard doesnt follow when changing tracks. It loses focus constantly.

The pros : I only one instance per track and can fill it up as much as I want for easy testing. MUCH Cleaner on the project than to duplicate bunch of tracks...

but yeah s88 mk2 doesnt recognize easily the track and everytime, I need to press instance -) select one of the 8 instances of maschine (i.e in a 8 track project).

How you guys go about this?? Any suggestion appreciated!