Traktor DJ 2 + Kontrol Z1 + iPad Pro 2020 11" not compatible ?

Hello,

I just bought a Kontrol Z1 in order to use it with Traktor DJ 2 on my iPad Pro 2020 11" (A12Z chip, USB-C).

I have connected the Kontrol Z1 with the original cable USB-A/USB-B to the USB-C Apple digital av multiport adapter (https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MUF82ZM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter) connected to my iPad Pro.

Kontrol Z1 knobs, faders are not recognized by Traktor DJ 2, it justs detected as an audio interface. LEDs are off.

I have tried the following adapter and cable with the same result :

My Kontrol Z1 is working correctly on my laptop (Lenovo / Windows 10 / Traktor DJ 2).

The firmware is up-to-date.

Note that there is no power socket input at the rear of my Z1.

I have also tried to uninstall/reinstall Traktor DJ 2 on my iPad.

I don't know what else to try, really ! You guys are my last chance before I give up and send it back to the vendor.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

In the video it says that the power plug is required to use the iPad. At least your unit was legit. Does you box look like this with made for iPhone, iPad and works with Traktor dj on the box like this?

If so then it should work on the newer ipads. (not sure about the M1 yet) My Kontrol s2 mk2 Has this same print on the box and It works with my A14 iPad.

So far all my class compliant gear works on my iPad.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Thomas_J unfortunately the Z1 used to be compatible with iOS but since some time ago it is no longer. 😕

Answers

• Wyley
    edited January 2022

You need an adaptor that receives power. Like this Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter$69.99Amazon CA

edit

I just saw you tried this already. watch

No power socket on your z1?

edit

Open traktor dj first then connect the controller. This is how I have do it with my Akai amx. Most stuff on the iPad requires you to open the software first before adding a device.

• Thomas_J
    Thomas_J Member Posts: 6 Member

Hi Wyley, thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, this is the 1st adapter I have tried if you look at my post.

It does charge my iPad Pro but the LEDs are off on the Z1, it's only recognized as an audio interface.

• Thomas_J
    edited March 2022

Please see the screenshot, this is what I mean by "No power socket on my Z1".

I did try to open Traktor DJ first then connect the Z1 but I had the same result.

• Wyley

I see. It could be that model you have is not supported.

You want it work like this #12 (I know it's not Traktor dj 2)

I found that I have to plug in the multiport adaptor dongle first, open up the program and plug the usb cable to the dongle. For some reason iOS only recognizes the last device you plug in as the main source.

I never knew there was 2 versions of the z1.

• Wyley

Ok apparently you can't use it on an iPad without the power cable plugged in.

Send it back and get one that has a power input. The unit you have looks counterfeit as I can't find any info on a z1 without the power socket.

Go to 1:20 in this video for the requirements to work on iOS

• Thomas_J

Thank you for your answers.

I don’t think my unit is counterfeit as I have successfully imported it in my NI account with the serial number.

I bought it on Woodbrass (French number 1 seller of musical equipment).

I will send it back anyway as it doesn’t work. I will look for a Z1 with power input.

I can’t see your video for the iOS requirements, the link is missing. Can you please add it?

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

Just checked system requirements here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controllers/traktor-kontrol-z1/specifications/

There is no mention about iPad support but I heard that Z1 is not supported on newer iPads.

• Wyley
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

In the video it says that the power plug is required to use the iPad. At least your unit was legit. Does you box look like this with made for iPhone, iPad and works with Traktor dj on the box like this?

If so then it should work on the newer ipads. (not sure about the M1 yet) My Kontrol s2 mk2 Has this same print on the box and It works with my A14 iPad.

So far all my class compliant gear works on my iPad.

• Thomas_J
    edited March 2022

My box doesn’t mention « works with iPhone and iPad ». That would explain everything !

I will look for the same unit as you, I didn’t knew there were 2 versions of the Z1 …

Thanks a lot for your help Wyley!

• basile
    basile Member Posts: 1 Member

Just to give you some hope my Z1 (old original one, that had the works with apple box and a power supply connection) works with my 2020 iPad Pro with the usual cable and the apple usb-c adapter and no external power source needed at all

• Kaiwan_NI
    Answer ✓

Hi @Thomas_J unfortunately the Z1 used to be compatible with iOS but since some time ago it is no longer. 😕

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Use a powered hub. Then do the connection steps right…

1st connect the Z1 to powered hub. Power them on.

2nd Now you have energy into hub plug into the IPad.

This should avoid any “this devices drains too much power” or so. Almost audio interface should be recognized as expected.

• WilbertS
    WilbertS Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi Kaiwan,

Do you have more details about this changes from Apple? I have similar situation; Z1 without ext power socket, purchased from Thomann, and iPad Air with M1 processor and USB-C interface. Controller is not recognized.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

It was almost with Traktor dj app (1st gen)

• Kaiwan_NI

@WilbertS I don't have a documentation about the changes unfortunately but indeed only older batches of Z1 that carry a power socket are compatible with iPad. For the new batch please refer to the info on our website.