Project Folders - Maschine+

nxtseq
nxtseq Member Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2022 in Maschine

Hey all. Is there any way to have projects stored in folders on the standalone device, or create folders?

If not so, this would be a big feature request. I have probably over 50+ projects and I have to go to the computer and move stuff out of the Maschine to organize. Would be simpler if I could just put them into folders instead, on the device!

Nic

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Seconded. Doesn’t matter whether its folders or tags, but we need a means to structure the list of Projects. Maybe something like a Setlist (where Projects are kept in a specified sequence) could help as well.

Same problem exists on the desktop software: The ever growing list of user Projects turns unusable.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited June 2022

Yep, especially since there are no previews, not sure who would memorize project names once you reach a certain # ...

Your best bet is to create some custom tags, but of course, this requires using the computer after your projects are saved; would be nice to do it from the M+.

If NI would allow us to change the "Product" tag we could have different main thumbnails for different kinds of projects, I do this with a script mainly so my live performance projects are separated from other stuff since I need to load them fast in between songs but using terminal scripts is not easy for the average user.

Anyway, looks like this in standalone mode:

And like this on the computer:

• nuromantix
    nuromantix Member Posts: 24 Member

Has there been any progress on this?

I have about 200 projects on my M+ now. Is the only solution to buy lots of SD cards and label them with a pen?

I would like to have some categories like "hip hop" / "techno" / "chill" / "ideas"

• ozon
    edited December 2023

As long as it doesn’t even work well in the Maschine desktop application, I wouldn’t expect anything for the M+.

It’s fascinating how NI manages to miss major issues with user content in their own approach to takle browsing huge numbers of resources.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru
    edited December 2023

I have hundreds of projects, but I do remember the good ones by name (and the best versions from those I always mark with a star), however it's not a good way to organize stuff.

I have a feeling NI concept designers dont like the idea of subfolders? Just guessing since they are so awfully supported on the standalone 😹 Ideally, we should be able to tag all content directly on the standalone; This feature would also solve this "bloating project root folder" issue, and would also be a solution NI concept people would agree with (seeing as everything in Maschine revolves around tags)

• ozon

@tetsuneko proposed

Ideally, we should be able to tag all content directly on the standalone

Exactly this!

Would solve most of the user content browsing problems. And probably also push NI to finally fix some of the long standing bugs.

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 153 Advisor
    edited December 2023

I also mark my favourite projects with a star. It's one of Maschines best features and I wish more companies offered ways to mark samples especially. Less so with Projects as there's So it's more than some others provide, but the colour and name tags in Ableton Collections, which allow more than one tag, even with plugins take it a step further.

Maybe a trick would be to use a category abbreviation before the project name as that way it would group genres/or whatever together?

Wish there were more and better named categories of instruments in the Maschine too, but again, it's better than some.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Sounds more like a problem than a solution considering all your SD's would need to have everything you use installed on all of them, quite the waste and a management nightmare tbh...

You better off using a computer to just add those custom category tags

• Frank von Welt
    Frank von Welt Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi,

my dilemma here is.. is wanna do some live shows with the machine.. the idea of a set list.. or at least the possibility to somehow create an order of projects would be very helpful .. only chance atm is to put numbers in the project names like 001_projectnameA 002_projectnameB ? or is there a better way atm?

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru

There is a way to tag projects on Maschine desktop in a way that makes projects appear as a distinct "bank".. one long time user here knows the deets, he will probably chime in later when he sees this thread