Prepping for a gig, External HD's and keeping things simple...

Patrick West
Patrick West Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hello NI people,

Newish MK3 user, upgraded from a mikro where I dipped my toes..... Loving the vibes and sounds I am creating. Currently my mk3 is in my studio tied to all of my workstation and toys. I would like to gig with a laptop I have running 16gb RAM, seems smooth enough for what I am doing.

My initial question is how best should I share aa external hd for all of my project/sounds? I would like to use my desktop (home setup) for creating my set, then taking just my laptop , interface, keys and mk3 to the gig.

I have an akai mpk for leads that I have next to the mk3, upgrading to the A49 (it's in the mail) soon. I feel that the A49 will compliment my setup nicely with its size. I'm currently looking into decksavers, cases and gig bags, does anyone here have suggestions for a nice heavy duty bag for laptop, maschine and toys???

peace from Northern Michigan, where it snows, this time of year.......

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod

Hello,

it depends on your projects, do you work a lot with kontakt, or do you use maschine sampler and synths. Yur can export projects with samples, this is a good way to backup your stuff and load it on another computer. But it does not include kontakt stuff. The kontakt libraries on your external HDD you should be able to locate also with native access on your laptop, then set the same folder for content and install the rest. Also all vst stuff, it's not that big so you could install that on internal drive. If you exported with samples you could spare the expansion packs. If you don't use kontakt at all or re sample it you, of course, don't need to install it on your laptop. It's maybe not an easy answer. I also own the A49 and I'm really happy with it, the keys feel great and integration with maschine and komplete kontrol is awesome, i think you'll like it a lot.

Uwe

• Patrick West
    Patrick West Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

Ok so to add to the initial part of this topic, I just fired up my laptop that I want to use for gigs and I am seeing some latency I did not notice a few months ago. Here are specs;

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Education

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DC-WESPA-91077

System Manufacturer HP

System Model HP EliteBook x360 1040 G6

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 6QH36AV

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date HP R90 Ver. 01.04.02, 1/2/2020

SMBIOS Version 3.1

Embedded Controller Version 96.52

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer HP

BaseBoard Product 857F

BaseBoard Version KBC Version 60.34.00

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.1533"

User Name TCAPS\westpa

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB

Available Physical Memory 10.5 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB

Available Virtual Memory 11.1 GB

Page File Space 2.38 GB

This thing should be slapping pretty good right? What are thoughts on buffer size? Other settings I need to keep this thing happy in a live setting?

Using a focusrite scarlet but maybe I shouldn't be with the MK3? Thinking of using my Mikro mk2 as additional pads and control in the setup (perhaps for another in the group to use)

Also going to experiment with my electronic drum kit sending midi to maschine for playing sounds, control and looping. Any experienced drummers here - probably another post - using midi within the maschine ecosystem.

Tell me your midi setups!!!!

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod

You should be fine with the scarlet but also with MK3 audio interface, try to lower the buffer size. Always use the laptop with the power brick and set energy saving option to max power or something like that. https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing here are some tips

Uwe