Komplete Audio 6 MKII giving a mono sound in headphones

Daniel8
Daniel8 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited June 2022 in Other Software & Hardware

Hi,

Today I've noticed that my KA 6 MKII is giving me trouble by playing the sound from the headphones in mono. I've checked and checked again with different sources (Ableton DAW, Mac native sounds and system sound), I swapped the outputs, restarted the computer, NO LUCK, the sound in the headphones is stuck in the middle, and there's no space to it, it's mono. When I plugged the same headphones to the computer output, it was nice and stereo.

Any idea why this might happen?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @Daniel8 What model is your headphone ? I assume you are using an adapter for the headphone. Have you tried another adapter between your headphone and the soundcard ? Can you try the soundcard on another computer to see if it behaves the same ? Preferably with another headphone or at least another adapter.

• Daniel8
    Answer ✓

Okay guys,

First of all, thanks @Jeremy_NI , your testing suggestions worked. I tried my in ear monitors with a different adapter and they sounded stereo.

The issue is with my Beyerdynamic 770. They have a native adapter that screws onto them, so when it's screwed 100% on, they give the signal in mono 🤷🏻‍♂️ and when I leave a bit of the carving open, they sound stereo 😮

But all in all, the issue is solved, and it's headphones/adapter, not the interface 🚀

Thank you guys.

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited June 2022

Hey @Daniel8, did you make sure that the switch on the soundcard is on stereo?

• Daniel8

Hi,

Yeah, I toggled it back and forth. The thing is I'm not direct monitoring. I am using it to playback audio from DAW and also Mac. And both monitor outs are in mono mode.

• Nico_NI

Is the sound output on your monitors in mono as well?

• Daniel8

No, I don't have monitors, I use it only with headphones

• Nico_NI

Is the sound in mono as well when listening to Youtube or Spotify content?

It could be useful to have a check on your Mac audio routings. Feel free to post screenshots.

• Daniel8

Exactly. All the sound played from browser, Spoty, messengers, all comes to my headphones as mono. And the worst thing that Ableton also shoots mono (looks to me that the problem is somewhere higher than the DAW).

Re routing... I don't know exactly where to check for that (I guess NI doesn't have it's own routing app e.g. Focusrite Control), but here are the Audio MIDI setup screenshots. And there are no actual setting on the Mac.

So if you know where else I could look, would be great!

(I run Mac OS Monterey v 12.4

• Nico_NI

Everything looks normal. Maybe checking this one?

Accessibility > Audio

If the issue persists, I would advise to reach out to our hardware support so they can check that out with you.

You can contact us here: https://bit.ly/n1hwr 👈

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @Daniel8 What model is your headphone ? I assume you are using an adapter for the headphone. Have you tried another adapter between your headphone and the soundcard ? Can you try the soundcard on another computer to see if it behaves the same ? Preferably with another headphone or at least another adapter.

• Daniel8
    Answer ✓

Okay guys,

First of all, thanks @Jeremy_NI , your testing suggestions worked. I tried my in ear monitors with a different adapter and they sounded stereo.

The issue is with my Beyerdynamic 770. They have a native adapter that screws onto them, so when it's screwed 100% on, they give the signal in mono 🤷🏻‍♂️ and when I leave a bit of the carving open, they sound stereo 😮

But all in all, the issue is solved, and it's headphones/adapter, not the interface 🚀

Thank you guys.

• Daniel8

And of course big thanks to @Nico_NI 💪🏻 😎

• Nico_NI

Sometimes it's not what we first think about ahah! Good to know it's solved.

• siets
    siets Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Wow @Daniel8 glad I found the post, I had the exact same issue with my Beyerdynamic 770 ;) pfff..After going through all the audio settings I was thinking to test it with a different socket.. but then I found your post, screwing it a bit back immediately solved the issue