Can we hope for a Komplete Kontrol A88?

Rusty
Rusty Member Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi guys!

As an ambitious hobby producer and composer I have to take care of my nuts. There are so much great (virtual) instruments out there. I can't get it all. 😌

But there's another thing - the hardware. I started out with a nice little peace of a midi keyboard - the M32. It's great - but small. 😝

Now I conclude, that many instruments will take advantage of full size keyboards (88 keys). So I have to look at these type of midi keyboard. So I checked out the S88 MKII. Great thing! But expensive though. Okay ... maybe it's a "good price for the hardware". But not affordable for everyone, I think.

Is there any chance to get an A88 (maybe including light guide)? That would be great!

Cheers

Rusty

Tagged:

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Doubt it. An 88 key keyboard is really only suitable for more proficient users who have the room and can justify the space, typically they can justify the cost. Too many models would mean too much inventory, I think if people really need the 88 keys, they will invest in the S series or just make do with 61 keys. Just doesn't make sense to have lightguide and piano feel 88 key in a "cheaper" version without screens to save a couple hundred bucks.

• Rusty

I do not agree. Okay, the thing with the light guide is ... crazy. I know! ;)

But why do you think only pro's are using 88 keys?? That's nonsense. If you play piano and you're willing to compose your own music - including using of split zones on the keys - you're going to use an 88 keys keyboard. Many instruments does using the 88 keys. Think of Sonokinetic (only one example).

• JesterMgee
    edited May 2022

But why do you think only pro's are using 88 keys?? That's nonsense.

No, I said "Typically", which is true as most bedroom and small producers dont have the space or need for full range, usually those that are trained and have actual skills which they usually choose the right tools and sacrifice for the extra cost.

If you play piano and you're willing to compose your own music - including using of split zones on the keys - you're going to use an 88 keys keyboard.

Well I play and I only have a 61 key version because I also play other instruments, prefer the synth feel over weighted for compromise and simply do not have the justifiable room for something that massive. Have managed just fine with 61/67 keys for 25 years.

An 88 key version exists and as mentioned, most people with a need for that size will typically want something that has a premium feel. If the A series was 88 keys, it would not have the semi weighted keys as that is a large chunk of the overall price, not to mention a larger keyboard needs better engineering. Then you have the limited pedal inputs and also lack of after touch, no MIDI connectivity to use with hardware.... lots you would give up in function for something that takes up 1/3 your room space.

There are fewer people with a need for 88 keys and probably even fewer that would choose to not have displays or lightguide especially since the LG would be the main point for the 88 key model other than offering a full range.

By all means you can certainly hope it will happen, I just don't think it's ever going to be a thing.

• Rusty

But … you know of the many third party models out there - with 88 keys - yes? Are all these manufacturer on the wrong way?

• JesterMgee
    edited June 2022

I know of a few models yes (tho you will easily find far less 88 key models out in the wild than any other key version, for all the reasons I have already stated), but do these manufacturers also have 3 other lines of keyboard models with 25/37/61/88 key models in each line?

All I am saying is that in a general sense of the word (not to be taken to the literal nth degree) the users looking for 88 keys can generally afford/justify the extra cost for a premium model and most 88 key models I have seen are from the higher end options from manufacturers... You won't find an 88 key version of a korg nanoKey for instance...

Hope, prey and dream for a cheap 88 key model sure, I'm just adding a realistic argument to not place your bets on it happening any time soon.

• Rusty

Hope dies last! :P