Audio dropouts on new MacBook Pro M1 Max

deadmike
deadmike Member Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2022 in Komplete General

Hi I’m experiencing audio stuttering and dropouts running Komplete 13 on a Komplete Kontrol. I’ve upgrade my system recently so am a bit dismayed. I’m running a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max, 34 gb of ram. All samples are on a new external SSD. Dropouts occur mostly when playing many notes or fast on pianos. I am running through a quite old (10 years?) Scarlet 2i4 Interface so wonder if that is the weak link. Sample rate 44100, Buffer 515, have tried tweaking those but the problem remains. Can anyone help?

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Hey @deadmike, please note that Komplete Kontrol is not yet M1 Max compatible.

You could try to open your DAW using Rosetta2 to see if it solve the issue:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417360007825-How-to-Open-Your-DAW-Using-Rosetta

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

To sort out it is Scarlet audiointerface you might try using Mac internal audio. Or any other audio interface.

If you have big projects (large Kontakt Libraries), you might run out of RAM and swapping would occure. It should be fast on Mac, but it depends how much would be swapped.

• deadmike

Thanks using Rosetta but will try the Mac internal audio

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@deadmike Did you install your Kontakt libraries on an external hard drive ? Is this hard drive formatted to APFS ? If not, the drop outs and performance issues probably come from this. Please check this article on that matter: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

Also check that Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol and your DAW all have Full Disk Access:How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

• deadmike

Thanks I’ll look into your suggestions

• deadmike

So disk was apsf but just added kontakt to disk access will see if that helps thanks

• deadmike

Still getting dropouts perhaps a little less frequently since adding kontakt to disk access. Still wonder if there is anything else I could try?

• Jeremy_NI

Do you get crackles in Komplete Kontrol, in Kontakt, both ? in standalone, in your DAW ? What DAW is it ?

• deadmike

It’s in komplete Kontrol stand-alone basically just playing piano no daw at the moment. Mostly just using The Grandeur piano at the moment.

• Jeremy_NI

Ok, thanks, what about when using Kontakt instead ?

Some users reported sound issues with Komplete Kontrol and Maschine on M1 Max and M1 Pro computers, as we state in our Apple Silicon compatinility article: Apple Silicon (M1) Compatibility News

• deadmike

Thanks I’ll get back to you on Kontakt