Sequencer with a twist (in Primary)

Stepaan
Stepaan Member Posts: 15 Member

Hello, I'm seeking for a help.

I need to make a sequencer but... It's important the sequencer, after receiving Note On, would play the sequence from start, but after reaching the last step, it wouldn't warp to the step 1, but it would play the sequence from a given step instead.

Please, could someone help me how to make it possible to play once from the first step (0) and then every other time from any specified step?

I've tried Multiplex 16, 8-Step Sequencer, even Selector/Scanner with a Counter and some Comparisons and Modulo. But I'm afraid, it's beyond my capabilities... It still didn't work.

Thank you so much!

Stepan

Best Answers

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,241 Expert

As a simple solution, try to use an ST Gate (Monophonic single-trigger source) instead of a typical Gate

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru
    edited May 2022

There must be some reset logic where the sequencer checks if a counter is greater then or equal to 16 (for a 16 step sequencer), then it will jump back to the start position. If you stick in a clipper at that point you can force the start position to never be less than your desired reset position... probably ;)

EDIT: not with the blocks '8 STEPS' sequencer. That is based on a modulo counter, so it doesn't do a compare/jump to restart when it gets to the end.

I'm sure there will be sequencers out there that do have restart logic that can be modded this way - there are some useful features that just wont work with a modulo based wrap. E.g. having separate modulatable start and end points for the sequence - there are some hardware step sequencers that have this, and there is at least one generative technique that depends on this feature (I read about it and wanted to try it, but I cant with my rig - Doepfer have a sequencer that can do it if you use the extra expander...) In this case for your idea, A trigger sent on the last step could feedback a level to the start position. You would reset this on song start. Doesn't help though because I don't think there is a sequencer in Reaktor that does this... although there might be something in the UL?

Maybe easier to build your own though? As long as its a very basic sequencer based on selector scanner or similar?

• Stepaan

Thank. But this circuit doesn't reset the counter to a number different than 1 or 0. I need the reset to be let's say 4 or any other number within the range of the sequencer steps. Also the modulo module (hehe) should be connected to the sequencer using the 'Mod' output, not 'Div'.

• Sunborn
    Answer βœ“

well dear friend, there is no "should do as this, or that", as far as something is working perfect πŸ˜‹ ...and it is working perfect!

...check by yourself: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14527/

• colB
    Answer βœ“

Here's a simple example using selector/scanner...

Should be easy enough to extend this

• Stepaan

Yes. The logic behind this is obvious. But I don't know how to reset the counter to zero at the first run and to the selected number in all other runs. Also, the Clipper doesn't work since it sends the lower value several times until it reaches numbers within the loop range. It clips the end value of the loop accordingly.

• Stepaan

I'm sorry, it wasn't polite. But I tried your approach and it didn't work. Going to check the JP 8000 ;-)

• Stepaan
    edited May 2022

Oh, so many modules I don't know, or use!!! :-D Thank you so much! This is exactly what i was searching for.

May I use your work in my ensemble giving the credits to you?

• colB
    edited May 2022

Wow, are you for real?

The OP asked for a solution for a specific well defined problem. Your answer didn't solve the problem. Can't you just accept that?

• colB
    Answer βœ“

Any questions about how it works, just ask!

Mostly I avoid Primary, but in general, it's all about order, value and merge modules. The separator is also very useful, more so than compare in many situations, because compare gives logic outputs whereas separator compares, then passes the input to an output based on the outcome.

The Freq. divider is just a simple way to make the midi clock usable for driving the sequence.

Yes you can use it (in general, anything on the forum is fair game IMO, if it's in the UL or elsewhere, then definitely ask permission... IMO of course - everyone else has their own opinion on that stuff), it was a good exercise - more fun than a sudoku ;). The only sticky bit was getting the lamps to turn off - the logic for that is quite nice.

• Stepaan

Yes, the Separator was one of the crucial modules I didn't use in any of my previous designs. The same goes for the Merge Module. Thank you so much! Also I have to find out how did you manage to create a feedback loop without the Unit Delay. Reaktor crashes every time I try to do anything like this. Is the Trig Module the key?

And of course, the logic behind lamps... :-D I'm going to investigate it later as soon as I integrate your Macros into my Ensemble.

And thanks for your permission to use it!

• Sunborn

you are funny! ....and you don't pay attention to the all comments... 😊 my second answer had nothing to do with his original question, but about his comment on my first answer (he wrote: "Also the modulo module (hehe) should be connected to the sequencer using the 'Mod' output, not 'Div'." referring to the configuration on the example in my photo)... and i just answered to him, that it worked fine, for me, not for him!

....it would be appreciated if you should be more careful in the future, before you write meaningless accusations... thank you πŸ˜‰

• colB

Nope, you quoted his whole reply, in which the part about MOD vs DIV is just an aside. Whether you meant it or not, it clearly reads as you refusing to accept that your answer didn't help. Maybe not what you meant, but folk can only read what you write, not what you mean.

...it would be appreciated if you should be more careful in the future, before you make a fool of yourself πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

• Sunborn

Ok, if you think that you, know better what i wrote that me who i wrote it, if you think that you understand better than me, what are my own thinking and expression, well... i rest my case dude! πŸ˜„

No problem, you are right, if you must feel right... i am not here to argue or to practice verbal swordsmanship πŸ˜‰

But, on my defense (and i will never mention it again), my mother language is Greek, not English, and my way of the thinking process is Greek too, so, in my way of thinking, what i wrote make perfect sense!

However, in favor of good will, i have no problem to admit that i am wrong and you are right.

End of story, have a nice day!