Removing NKS Instruments from KK under WIndows

John Whittaker
John Whittaker Member Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi All. I am trying to remove NKS instruments (Orange Tree Samples) from KK with absolutely no luck. I have tried reinstalling, deleting the registry keys, etc.

It seems as if there is a db or XML file or something that I am unaware of - is this an easy fix?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

So how did you install it?

Now, I am jumping to conclusions right now but when you start talking about deleting registry keys so casually then I cannot help but be convinced that your system was already unstable when you installed this stuff. Because normally there is absolutely no reason why you'd ever touch the Windows registry for something as casual as this.

Installing an NKS instrument consists of 3 separate actions:

• Install the actual software; usually the developer provides their own installer.
    • Add the serial provided by the developer into Native Access to make it aware of the new item.
    • Point Native Access to the location where you installed the software then "update" Kontakt.

The first step is important here.. normally you'd use an installer which would register your software with Windows. Ergo... start menu => settings => apps... find & uninstall.

• John Whittaker
    Answer ✓

ShelLuser - you're right, I shouldn't have messed with the registry. The answer was simple, I just deleted the Komplete.DB3 file in the hidden directory C:\Users\John|AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Komplete Kontrol, forcing KK to rebuild it.

Thanks for your help - I love the Netherlands. I have visited Intrada in Beilin twice!

John

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

For future reference you should be able to remove NKS files for a specific instrument if you do not wish to do the uninstallation by simply deleting the instruments NKS files. 2 ways:

1st is just right-click a preset and "Find in Explorer" then delete all the presets or just the library folder and then after this, rescan the whole factory library in Preferences>Library

Keep in mind that in the case of Kontakt based instruments, I believe the NKS files is also the preset file for Kontakt so deleting these will delete it from Kontakt. If unsure always play safe and instead move the files and check things are good.

Second method is recommended only for those that know how to navigate and modify the registry (or .plist for mac). You can locate where KK reads NKS files for an instrument/vendor in Preferences>Library and remove the location for the NKS browser which will leave the instrument NKS and presets in tact, just remove the location so it is not scanned.

From here you can simply follow this and delete the files but if you prefer to just remove the whole entry find the "Product" in the registry in this location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments":

The key sets the location of the "content" which is the NKS files and also where the plugin resides. Again, if in doubt first right-click the key and choose to "Export" so if you need to add it back you can simply double click the exported key and it will enter it back in again. KK should trigger a rescan on launch again if the registry has changed but if it does not, do a manual rescan of the Factory library.

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

So how did you install it?

Now, I am jumping to conclusions right now but when you start talking about deleting registry keys so casually then I cannot help but be convinced that your system was already unstable when you installed this stuff. Because normally there is absolutely no reason why you'd ever touch the Windows registry for something as casual as this.

Installing an NKS instrument consists of 3 separate actions:

• Install the actual software; usually the developer provides their own installer.
    • Add the serial provided by the developer into Native Access to make it aware of the new item.
    • Point Native Access to the location where you installed the software then "update" Kontakt.

The first step is important here.. normally you'd use an installer which would register your software with Windows. Ergo... start menu => settings => apps... find & uninstall.

• John Whittaker
    Answer ✓

ShelLuser - you're right, I shouldn't have messed with the registry. The answer was simple, I just deleted the Komplete.DB3 file in the hidden directory C:\Users\John|AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Komplete Kontrol, forcing KK to rebuild it.

Thanks for your help - I love the Netherlands. I have visited Intrada in Beilin twice!

John

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,573 Expert
    Answer ✓

For future reference you should be able to remove NKS files for a specific instrument if you do not wish to do the uninstallation by simply deleting the instruments NKS files. 2 ways:

1st is just right-click a preset and "Find in Explorer" then delete all the presets or just the library folder and then after this, rescan the whole factory library in Preferences>Library

Keep in mind that in the case of Kontakt based instruments, I believe the NKS files is also the preset file for Kontakt so deleting these will delete it from Kontakt. If unsure always play safe and instead move the files and check things are good.

Second method is recommended only for those that know how to navigate and modify the registry (or .plist for mac). You can locate where KK reads NKS files for an instrument/vendor in Preferences>Library and remove the location for the NKS browser which will leave the instrument NKS and presets in tact, just remove the location so it is not scanned.

From here you can simply follow this and delete the files but if you prefer to just remove the whole entry find the "Product" in the registry in this location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments":

The key sets the location of the "content" which is the NKS files and also where the plugin resides. Again, if in doubt first right-click the key and choose to "Export" so if you need to add it back you can simply double click the exported key and it will enter it back in again. KK should trigger a rescan on launch again if the registry has changed but if it does not, do a manual rescan of the Factory library.

• John Whittaker

Jester, thanks so much!