Spilled some coffee in my Komplete and now it won't work

Marco Meirelles
Marco Meirelles Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited May 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

So, about a month ago, I was having a studio session here with a friend and he spilled some coffee on my Komplete Kontrol a25, we cleaned it up but we made a mistake by leaving it on throughout the session, the next day I realized that one of the octave button LED stopped working, and the mod wheel too, I disconnected it and left there until I met my father in law, since he works with electronics, today, tired of waiting I thought about opening it and maybe cleaning the coffee, if there's still some, it was dirty but not wet, cleaned the plastic part with alcohol and some of the contacts with a contact cleaner and a swab. Tried turning on and the LED started working again, however, the keyboard doesn't keep on, keeps turning off as you can see at the link https://imgur.com/a/W1lv9co.

Can anyone help me? Is it dead? Is there something I can do besides go to the support (since I live in Brazil)?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer βœ“

There seems to be some kind of short or fried component...either send in for repair or start fresh!!! 😲

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer βœ“

There seems to be some kind of short or fried component...either send in for repair or start fresh!!! 😲

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Yeah first thing you really should have done is switch it off immediately until cleaned, you have probably damaged it by not doing that. Since it's the "budget" A series, it's not even worth the cost to send it in for repair given what has happened.

Coffee would not be good at all for the ICs, especially if you had sugar in it. There is a possibility you just have not cleaned it well and instead, pushed some conductive dry coffee into some contacts between an IC or something so given it doesn't work and you may be looking at a new one, i'd take it apart, go and get a can of proper PCB cleaner, a conductive cleaning brush (looks like a black tooth brush) and carefully go over the whole area again. If that fails, scrap it.

Next time if you ever have something spilled, switch off and unplug immediately until you can get inside and clean it out.