Maschine MK3 Midi into Logic

Emmer80
Emmer80 Member Posts: 4 Member

I just wanted to share a quick workaround that may be of interest to some.

Like many, I've tried to find simple ways to print the midi directly into Logic without performing in the Maschine software and using the drag and drop method or any convoluted routing.

My workaround is simply using the Maschine 2 standalone software and setting the midi output to Maschine 2 out.

Back in logic you can go to any soft synth instrument and select Maschine 2 as in the instruments input. Now you can play that instrument using Maschines features (arp, keyboard, chords, etc) and it will print the midi straight into the track within Logic.

I hope this helps!

Comments

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
  • bzyboy
    bzyboy Member Posts: 63 Helper

Where in Logic do you change the midi input for a single instrument?

• Trevor Meier
    Trevor Meier Member Posts: 69 Advisor

I've been using this recently, in both directions—for having MIDI sequencers in Logic drive Maschine sounds, and to bring Maschine MIDI back into Logic. I use the Blackhole audio driver in Maschine and run its sounds into a few channels there for recording.

• Emmer80
    edited May 2022

Click "> Track" on the inspector window on the left to expand the Track details. There you will see a Midi In port (aka device) and Midi channel selector. Once you have Maschine standalone set to output via Maschine 2 virtual out, logic will see this as a selectable input device.

• bzyboy

I started maschine 2 in stand alone and went to midi out preferences and checked the "Maschine 2 virtual output"

I then started Logic and selected a track. I don't seem to have the "midi in" option unless you are talking about "Channel" which is grayed out for me.

What am I missing?

• Emmer80
    edited May 2022

Make sure to set it for the pad output (to the virtual output, NOT None as pictured). A maschine sound doesn't even need to be loaded since in this case all we are concerned with is transmitting midi.

Back in Logic check your midi preferences and make sure Maschine 2 Virtual Output is enabled as a midi device. Much the same way you did in your first screenshot within maschine. Once this is done it should appear in the track window. If you still can't get it to work I'll record a video for you.

• bzyboy

That's what I was missing! Thank you very much!

• eriddim
    eriddim Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2022

Hi,

routing Midi from Maschine to DAW as described above unfortunately doesn't work in my setup. Maybe someone can give me a hint...

Actually I'd like to use Maschine 2.16.0 as AU Plug-in in Logic 10.7.5 and record Midi directly in Logic (no drag and drop, no switching to Midi-Mode etc.). I tried a bunch of different settings but wasn't able to get a Midi-Signal into Logic.

I also tried to do this with Live 11.2.6. But that didn't work either.

First I opened Maschine as Plug-in in Logic and made sure that Midi out is routed to host:

then I checked that Maschine virtual Midi Out appears as Midi In in Logic

But no matter what I select, there's no Input Signal that could be recorded.

Then I checked the Midi Input Preferences in Logic and was surprised by the large number of virtual ports (but hey, better more than less 😉)

Then I tried the same with Ableton Live (with both, AUv2 and VST3) with the same result -> Ports appear, but no Midi Input / recording.

Afterwards I used Maschine in Stand-alone-Mode with enabled virtual Midi Outputs and with corresponding Midi Output routing.

But same there, no success.

To complete my research I tried everything using Logic and Live with Rosetta. Guess what... no success.

Any idea what I am missing or what else I could try?

Cheers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited November 2022

AU v2 plugins can't send MIDI to DAW, so don't bother trying. (hence the workarounds described on this thread...)

As for Ableton + VST2 / 3 you need to tell the MIDI track to receive MIDI from the Track that has the Maschine-2 Plugin, like so:

And also set up a sound/group in Maschine to send MIDI to host. (receive it too if you plan to have the actual instrument in Maschine VS having it in the Ableton Track)

What you see in the pic, is exactly what you cannot do with AUv2/Logic.

• eriddim
    eriddim Member Posts: 2 Member

Hey D-One,

It finally works with Live. Thank you so much. I obviously had a totally wrong idea of how Midi routing to host/DAW works.

That this doesn't work with AUv2/Logic is actually not what I wanted to hear - hard life 😉

Thanks again for your absolutely helpful comment!

• converted
    converted Member Posts: 23 Member

Thanks for this it was annoying me too - works a treat :)

• steelo
    steelo Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Morning all, im really struggling with this if anyone can help please?

I have Maschine 2 standalone software midi out set to this:

then midi out on the sounds in the maschine 2 standalone software set to this:

and then midi in in Logic set as such:

but im not getting anything. am I doing something stupid or not understanding something here? please help :)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2023

That works fine here. Picking "Logic Pro Virtual In" works aswell.

Check if you have Maschine setup as a control surface in Logic, that could be intercepting the MIDI.

MacOS Ventura 13.6.1, Logic 10.8.1, Maschine 2.17.4 (Intel)

• steelo
    steelo Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

thanks for the reply. So I have managed to get midi data recording in Logic now, but no audio signal comes in. I have this controller setup already which I created to use Maschine with Logic Drum Machine Designer and transport functions—could this be the issue? Or am I wrong in thinking that I can record the Maschine 2 standalone audio directly in Logic this way? Many thanks