Traktor S4 mk3 with D2s vs Traktor s3 with D2s

Ncyancy
Ncyancy Member Posts: 5 Member

Hello everyone, new to the community but not to using traktor. I recently went from an S8, and wanted to incorporate something with jog wheels so, I decided to give the S3 try, and wanting a little more functionality and visual also got two D2s. The set up and functionality works great! And I started to think that maybe the S4 would be even better with the 2Ds, however, when looking up online about user experience, I started to read that there were issues users were having with the s4 screens were competing with the D2s screens and caused some freezing up. I wonder if anybody had experience that? Or maybe that was an old problem and not an issue now with the latest software-I’m almost tempted to get a model and try it out for myself to be sure, but figured I would ask here which would save me the time and shipping cost. If any of you have experience, please let me know if you’re experiencing the freezing up of the screens or problems with functionality between all the models. As far as the S3 with 2Ds I can attest that everything works great! switching back-and-forth and the are decks are working as expected. Thanks

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

Yes, there is some jumpyness on all the screens with the S4Mk3+2xD2's. It's bearable and basically the functionality of the setup is inside what i would call usable, but it is definitely not nice. The same goes for 3 or 4 D2's and possibly also with the combos S8+2xD2 and S5+2xD2 but i can't say for sure since i don't own either an S8 nor an S5. This has been tested by me with Traktor versions up to and including 3.5.3.

I am curious about the S8/S5+2xD2 combo myself. Does anyone have experience with it?

• Ncyancy

Thanks for the input! Interesting that that happens with the s8, didn’t realize that. Inside usable, I guess means it’s not too bad, and that you can get used to it-but doesn’t affect the sound? Am I right?

• Ncyancy

Like - though the screens freeze up, the sound is still playing ok and not freezing up.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

As i said, i don't have an S8 so i can't say. But i guess it will cause trouble as well.

My experience with Traktor sofar shows that fluid sound is the last thing to go if the software has trouble processing everything it's supposed to.

• Ncyancy

Thanks for the feedback. Was considering getting a S4 mk3 to use with my D2s but after using the S3 with the D2s for days, without any problems, everything is working smooth and without any freeze ups. I think I’ll just be content with this setup. What the S3 lacks (no fx knobs) is made up for with the D2s, yes I don’t have the haptic drives, or the option of 92khz conversion, but the drives aren’t a big deal for me-as the platters still have a good smooth feel, just not the motor, and the 48khz still sounds great. Thanks for all your input-it really helped solidify my decision.