GR5 Preset Export/Edit/Import Question

Metaphasic
Metaphasic Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

I am trying to export, edit, then import a preset for the purpose of getting the setting on the components fine tuned. I understand the process of exporting and importing fine. However, when I manually edit the NGRR file in notepad, it will no longer import.

For example, when editing the file such that the volume of an amp model is an exact value, say, from 0.5 to 0.3 out of a range from 0-1, and I save the file, it no longer imports. If I change nothing, it works.

This is my only option as I cannot seem to get it right using the GUI. It's always something like 0.3004 or something. I'm OCD and need this.

So, how do I go about making these changes?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

the NGRR files are binary files, when opening them in Notepad and changing them, you are essentially corrupting the file. To get finer more precise adjustments when using the GUI, press the Shift key when adjusting parameters...

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

the NGRR files are binary files, when opening them in Notepad and changing them, you are essentially corrupting the file. To get finer more precise adjustments when using the GUI, press the Shift key when adjusting parameters...

• Metaphasic

Cool. Well that helps a bit. But it's now jumping between 2.97 and 3.01. Any way to get it right at 3.0?

And are there any good binary editors?

• Blindeddie

an editor would need to be specific to the application, so no to a binary editor.

It appears the jump in numbers has a direct correlation to Mouse Pointer speed. Try turning down the pointer speed which will increase the increment/decrement precision when adjusting parameters.

• Metaphasic

Well... I just rolled back my mouse speed and went to try this, and now GR5 won't start at all. =/ That's never happened before. Like, ever.

• Blindeddie

can't imagine Mouse speed affecting the operation of any program... Any Crash message or indication of the reason?

• Metaphasic

Nope. It was working fine when I exported my recent Cakewalk project to mp3. shrug

I'll try reinstalling it tomorrow. Too late to mess with it.