More discussions about Apple Silicon

13»

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

Soundwide partner iZotope now has Neoverb Apple Silicon native.

Yay!.. Now all of the products in the Music Production Suite are AS native.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Mentioning price is totally pointless when comparing Apple to Windows machines, unless you factor in resale value, which is much much higher and has a lot more longevity than any Windows Machine ever will have.

(I say this typing on my Windows laptop, but I am not stupid, Apple is the better prospect in long term cost)

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I speak about price of CPU, not Apple computer....

If 5700G was in Apple computer, it could be even cheaper and better value.

And let´s wait for M2 and AMD Zen4 7700G... I may be wrong, but my guess is that 7700G will be even greater value comparing to M2, than 5700G is comparing to M1.

• mezzurias
    mezzurias Member Posts: 27 Helper

What's the price of the M1 CPU? As far I know Apple doesn't sell the CPU on its own so even trying to make the comparison makes absolutely no sense imo. On top of that the M1 still beats a 5700G in single core performance and does so at 14W TDP while the 5700G does so at higher clocks and 45-64W TDP. So what we should be discussing these cpus for (making music) not only will the M1 run quieter and longer but it will probably run your VSTs faster/better as most VSTs are single threaded anyway (including a lot of NI's stuff).

• Kubrak

Yes M1 is a bit faster in singlethread (in some tests, slower in others....). It may be helpful at certain rare scenarios. On the other side M1 is considerably slower multithreaded.

Concerning consumption. M1 is made on 5 nm process, 5700G on 7 nm. So part of consumption difference is due this. If you make the same desingn on 5 nm and 7 nm, the latter one takes aprox 50% more energy.

M1 TDP is not 14W, but 20W. If it was 7 nm like Ryzen it would be around 30 W. Still better than AMD, which takes more because it runs on higher clock. And there is also 5700GE that has TDP 35 W....

And now the cost. 5 nm is way, way more expensive comparing to 7 nm. M1 has to use much, much more transistors (silicon) for CPU core than Zen3. I came across info that it is 4x more, but I have not verified this info. M1 core must be much bigger to be able to do the same job at lower clock. It is good for energy efficiency, but it costs....

So, M1 is on much expensive process and has much more elements. The production cost must be at least double of 5700G.

DAWs use multithread. I do not know if most VSTs are singlethreaded, but anyway one core runs many VSTs anyway, in most cases.

Let's wait for M2 and Zen4 in few months. And M3 and Zen5 in 2023/24.

• Kubrak

OK, M2 is here. It looks like, CPU delivers +18% more than M1. Apple has focused mainly on GPU...

AMD will release Zen4 in few months. It will be on the same/similar process like M2, so comparison of platforms will be more fair than Zen3 (7nm) vs. M1 (5nm).

We will see soon.