Instrument Modeling.. should NI hit this hard to catch up with others?

nightjar
nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru
edited May 2022 in Tech Talks

Instrument modeling has many advantages over sampling.

NI competitors have pursued modeling with much more vigor, and the gap is getting wider.

I think NI needs to hit this as hard as possible. Modeling fits into the future of music creation better than sampling.

Tagged:

Comments

• nightjar

With Arturia V Collection 9 being released today, the instrument modeling approach gets some new spotlight.

I'd welcome a modeled piano into the Komplete portfolio, any others Komplete owners feel the same?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

NI uses modelling. For example in Guitar Rig. And even using AI.

Is there any decent piano modelled?

• nightjar

Instrument modeling is what I was suggesting... not signal processing as per Guitar Rig.

• nightjar

Roland has excellent piano modeling in their keyboards which I own.

Very curious to try the updated modeled Piano in Arturia V9.

I also enjoy using MODO bass from IK Multimedia... looking forward to version 2 due out very soon.

Looking towards the future and the potential to get deeper into the nuances of articulations, I think physical modeling will evolve faster than sampling.

Piggybacking on the technology needed/wanted for interactive VR environments will propel this more rapid evolution.

I would love to see NI get some physically modeled instruments in the Komplete portfolio.

• Kubrak

You may choose from different Reaktor ensembles uploaded by users. For free.....

• nightjar

Sophistication of how thoroughly physical nuances are modeled is my curiosity more so than cost.

• Kubrak

The fact that something is for free does not necesarily mean that it is inferior....

• nightjar
  • nightjar
    edited May 2022

Perhaps this company should be on the Soundwide shopping list:

Already VST3 and NKS!

And Apple Silicon native too.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

Doesn't say NKS anywhere I see. Also, apart from selected NI instruments, VST3 is not supported with NKS.

• nightjar

SUPPORTED FORMATS AND OS

macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) – 12.3 (Monterey)

Standalone, Audio Units, VST, VST3, AAX 64bit

NKS (Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol)

Apple Silicon architecture supported natively, except for AAX plugins 

Windows 10, Windows 11

Standalone, VST, VST3, AAX 64bit

NKS (Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol)

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

Ah, so I see. Not mentioned anywhere on their main page nor is there any official "NKS" logo which is usually displayed when vendors have NI endorsement, wonder if it's officially endorsed or just in house added.

NKS still wont work with VST3 tho and I guess if you have the cash it may be good, not in my price range.

Pros and cons to both modelled and sampled, I still feel modelled can be static and personally just prefer a nice sampled library but then I am no expert and not that interested in the depths of the subject, just happy with a $30 basic clarinet sound if I ever need one.

• nightjar

Yes, the pricing of their products are cost prohibitive as a small developer, but if Soundwide bought them, pricing could change dramatically. Their modeling technology could then become a new building block for a new breed of very expressive instruments within the Komplete portfolio. The relationship of sound generation modulated by human motor skills can be more readily pursued with greater range and nuance.

• Kubrak

Probably none modelled piano in Reaktor. Is there real need for? But there are modelled string and wind instruments.

To get real use of modelled instruments one needs also adequate HW controller. It is possible to draw things using mouse or do one by one using controller, but it is not the same as if one does it in real time using advanced controller...

• nightjar

Hmmm... and who has a history of making "advanced controllers".... That's my point.

A great way to carve out an area of differentiation. Very expressive modeled instruments paired up with a new generation of imaginative controllers that embrace ways to interact with these modeled articulations.