Traktor 3.5.0 and above - browser flickering issue

djgoosh
djgoosh Member Posts: 11 Helper
edited February 19 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hey there

In 3.5.0 and every version above (including the latest 3.5.3) there's an annoying flickering in the GUI that sometimes interfere with the working flow..

In older version it happened when Track Collection folder was open.. now it happens all the time - when typing a letter in the search box, when moving up/down in a playlist and in every move..

please fix it, i wish Traktor would go forward and not backward with every update 😫

Tagged:

Comments

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor

Welcome to the forum.

Please post the specs of the machine you are DJ'ing with.

I don't know if there are other reports of this issue with Traktor above 3.5.0

Karlos.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,214 Expert

I have this problem as well. It's very irritating when it's happening.

Windows 10.

Sadly I don't have steps to reproduce. I think it happens more often when you use the search, but I'm not sure.

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 296 Pro
    edited April 2022

hello @djgoosh and thanks for heading this up!

@Karlos Santos it's a well known issue an not related to the specs or anything else...

...and so on... there are more of this... i have that problem too and it's annoying.

in case it helps here are my specs: macOS 10.14.6, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, Intel Iris GPU, Traktor 3.5.2

the only new realization for me recently was that it occurs to different degrees depending on the hardware, driver and mapping. with my own mapping and the interface of a DJM-S11 I have fewer problems with it.

cheers

• alec.tron
    alec.tron Member Posts: 72 Pro

Same here - regular issue since 3.5 and really hard to ignore / work with - i.e. just search for anything via search field, as soon as a search filter is on, the whole browser list will refresh, dissappear & reappear visually in 2-4 second intervals until the search query is removed, making it barely useable/readible.

c.

• dariodelima
    dariodelima Member Posts: 50 Advisor

Yes, this is a known issue, i raised it up in the old forumn and had a ticket, the flickering issue along with scrolling in the history section, 3.5 and above browsing the archive section traktor pauses for aprox 5 -10 secs while populating the dateed archive before moving to the next. where it was the same as scrolling playlist before 3.5

NI support replied it was noted and known and they would hand over the video and info to the dev team and to wait for further updates.

Four updates later and both the flickering issue and lag in archive scrolling continues.

• alec.tron
    edited April 2022

"Four updates later and both the flickering issue and lag in archive scrolling continues."

Aye, I have a similar impression and this does not compute why known issues that have recently, over the last year, have been introduced are just left in Traktor in a broken state for this long.

Newly introduced in 3.5.x (with S4 mk3) was a rather long freeze of the whole UI (i.e. 10-20 seconds full UI freeze) after EVERY track load. [does this have its' own thread here ? search is failing me...]

imo we're slowly but surely navigating towards an accumulated bug fest in Traktor and this worries me - hand in hand with dev efforts going towards things that were not among the top-10 issues/features i.e. a new drum machine (which I do not need at all, similar to streaming - I need a reliable & bug free tool for DJing first and foremost...).

Cheers.

c.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

i feel like there's a real quick fix for most of the flickering: if traktor didn't display a blank browser with just a "working..."/"searching..." message until like half a second after it started working/searching, the flickering would probably stop. none of the annoying flickers are that long, and for more involved operations where it makes sense to keep the user informed with a message that something is indeed happening and traktor hasn't just crashed, the message would still come up, just a little bit later - which, on procedures that take that long, isn't really all that bad.

• lord-carlos

I have a playlist where it start flickering again when I scroll through the tracks or preview a song. It's quite annoying.

• Anselm.
    Anselm. Member Posts: 29 Member

Any updates on that matter? It's getting close to unuseable.

• lord-carlos
    edited May 2022

Workaround: order by playlist number #

If you take a normal playlist and sort after # track number -> press preview -> no flickering

Same playlist, sort after BPM -> press preview -> single quick flickering

Do the same with a smart playlist and it flickers 3 times.

The more tracks there are, the more obvious it is. I assume because the refresh takes longer.

Edit: This makes browsing and previewing in smartplaylist while doing a set extremely annoying.

• alec.tron
    edited May 2022

Re "The more tracks there are, the more obvious it is."

And this used to be, historically, one of Traktor's strong points imo, to be able to deal with large collections ok ish...

Also - the worst flickering I get: doing a search on full collection tree... and leaving the search string standing, then scrolling a large ish list = making the whole list disappear/appear every ~1-3 seconds continuously, making the search result list painstakingly hard to read & scroll through.

What's the official / intended way to submit bug reports these days @ anyone at NI ?

Churs.

c.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @alec.tron the best way to file a bug report right now is to contact our support so we can verify it. If it's indeed a bug, your report will be stored along with others and you'll get a bug tracking number for reference.

• alec.tron
    edited May 2022

Thanks @ Kaiwan_NI

For people attempting the same, this is the essential quotes from the reply for a bug report / fix request for this:

"Unfortunately, this is a bug that is already identified and being addressed

We hope that this can be solved in a future Traktor release but I cannot advance any date.

We'll change the ticket status to “Solved” "

So, there's no point submitting any fix requests for this bug apparently.

I really wonder what the big release/feature set is NI is working on - seeing there's been no beta releases in 6-7 months, and known, recently introduced bugs, such as this, aren't worth publishing a fix for either (? paraphrasing here...). Guess time will tell [and I do really hope it finally is those long requested top-5 features/fixes...] .

c.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

I don't think anybody is working on fixes much, just new features. From a (short-sighted, but they all are) business perspective, the calculation is easy: Existing customers already bought the product buggy as it was, fixing features for them effectively loses NI money (and whatever they gain from fixing bugs or lose from not fixing them is not readily quantifiable in revenue numbers), while new features attract new buyers or even new buyer segments. I wouldn't hold my breath.

• von Bordwehr
    von Bordwehr Member Posts: 99 Advisor

People have complained about this issue for many years. It doesn't seem to have much priority.