Why not producing s2 dj controller with screen instead of jogwheel?

onsu
onsu Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hi!

Why not producing s2 DJ controller with screen instead of jogwheel like S5 and S8??? For technical DJs like me and others as well I think will be much more useful the screen like a jogwheel. Most of the time we play in small pubs and clubs or summer time outside on the fields or riverside. The screen would be much more useful especially if we play from portable SSD storage, smartphone or tablet. So my question is - WHY NOT???

Comments

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro
    edited April 2022

They tried that. It was called the S5 and the S8. Didn’t catch on.

• onsu

Yes but the S5 and the S8 not was two channel mixers.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

Too bad, really. I truly love them, and they surely could use some return love...

As far as i can see, the advantages of an S2 style 2-channel mixer have so far been:

• low price (compared to S4/S3)
    • smaller dimensions

If you add a screen on top of that, you will most likely negate both of those advantages, hitting the price range and dimensions of the S5 or (subtracting the FX controls) S3 at least.

I recommend you get yourself an S4Mk3 or an S5 and a mod to easily access MixerFX and get the most out of the screens. I am thinking about the getting S5 myself, both because of price and dimensions (plus screens, sturdiness and mixer section). Even if i mostly use only two decks for mixing certain genre's, it's always nice to have easy access and control of a third deck when checking your playlist/collection.

For the price/dimensions of the S2 Mk1/2/3, the only real alternative (by N.I. at least) is the X1/Z1 combo.

• onsu
    edited May 2022

unfortunately NI doesn't produce S5 anymore. The advantages of an S2 style 2-channel mixer should be the smaller dimensions what let me easy to move and lower price rate. I'm not a professional dj so I play for fun & joy not for money.

The X1/Z1 combo is ok but the price is around €400.

My ideal dream combo would be a future S2+ MKII with screens instead of jog wheels and the price around €250. 😍😍😍

I photoshoped one. 😊😉😁 Looks gorgeous.💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

At that price you can forget it ever appearing down the line. BUT: You can get a top quality S5 for less than €500 and it would be only slightly broader. Go get it tiger! 👺

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Just get an AMX+2AFX+iPad combo and DjPlayer. You will have the same and more for less money in the end. Only Remix decks are missing but even those could be worked in Ableton Link with Loopy Pro, Koala Sampler or any of the tons of apps available for that ecosystem.

• onsu
    edited May 2022

Does anyone have experience with the Reloop Mixtour Portable USB All-in-One DJ Controller? I heard about it years ago but I doesn't really look after. Any review maybe?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 995 Guru

Yes, I have a Mixtour.

• onsu

What is your experience with it?

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 133 Pro

Yes I have one and use it together with an X1 mk2 for DJ gigs where there is no pioneer mixer available. It works ok.