Auto sampling for guitar

john m
john m Member Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2022 in Maschine

I am AUTO sampling guitar strums to use them in my maschine+ standalone.

When I sample however they are in a certain key. I sample in C major.

On maschine+ the new sound with samples works great in key of C. I would rather not sample all the keys. C ... C# .....A ...

What seems not to work is that I can use these samples in another key. In keyboard mode changing (semi)tones does not get me where I want.

Also when I change the BPM it does not sound normal. the pitch seems to change ??

Any guru's know what I am missing out ?

Best Answer

• john m
    Answer ✓

The answer somehow confirmed what I thought.

Sampling guitar strums in one key and using them in all other 11 keys is not possible with auto sampler.

I see the other options as a possibility. Which is I understand :

Sample all strums separate and do this for every key.

This means if I want to get to my goal I would have to sample 12 x 12 samples of that particular strum to be able what I originally intended. But still , it would be limited to a certain BPM range to sound .. OK ish ?

is that a correct summary ?

Answers

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@Jeremy_NI are you familiar with this issue? 🤔

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Unfortunately I didnt try out this new feature yet. I can't really tell if something went wrong. If I get the time I can try out next week. Until then maybe one of our heavy users already explored the Auto Sampling function and have an idea ? @D-One maybe ?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2022

Well... This is a tricky one to understand what exactly OP is doing. Are we talking about a real guitar or a virtual instrument? A real guitar can't be "auto" sampled.

Depending on what you need to do you have to decide to either use a Sampler or an Audio Plug-In, changing BPM won't change the pitch of either the Sampler or the Audio plug so I am not sure what's going on over there.

What seems not to work is that I can use these samples in another key. In keyboard mode changing (semi)tones does not get me where I want.

Changing semitones in Keyboard Mode won't work, that just transposes the MIDI notes, you have to use the Tune knob in the Pitch / envelope menu, this will affect the pitch of all samples inside the Sampler/Pad.

For guitar chord strums I'd use the sampler and record each chord into a single Pad, this way you can trigger them freely; if you sample a bunch of chords that fit in a C Maj scale then you can then just select all Pads and Tune them up/down to fit other major scales but tunning will indeed change the speed/length of playback because the Sampler does not have any real-time time-stretch... This shouldn't be a big deal if you're talking about open chords but if there's broken/arpeggiated chords then the sampler is not a solution as individual notes will land in random places.

If you sample the Chords using the Audio Plug tuning them won't affect the speed/lenght but you can't just trigger them whenever you want, they are sort of stuck in their original position... So, let's say you always want chords to be triggered on the first beat - You could sample a bunch of 1 bar chords into different pads and then use gate mode to pick what Chords gets played - This works but it's very limited in terms of composition.

• john m
    Answer ✓

The answer somehow confirmed what I thought.

Sampling guitar strums in one key and using them in all other 11 keys is not possible with auto sampler.

I see the other options as a possibility. Which is I understand :

Sample all strums separate and do this for every key.

This means if I want to get to my goal I would have to sample 12 x 12 samples of that particular strum to be able what I originally intended. But still , it would be limited to a certain BPM range to sound .. OK ish ?

is that a correct summary ?