How do I get my basslines to play properly using the drag and drop midi feature?

jgraham12345
jgraham12345 Member Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2022 in Maschine

New to Maschine Mirco MK3. I have been able to utilize the midi drag and drop feature with logic and that works fine for drums (snare, hi hat, kick, etc.) However, when I record a baseline in machine, that sounds fine. But, when I drag the pattern into logic, the bass/808 is either pitched down, only playing one note, or doesn't play at all. It is super frustrating and makes me not want to use Maschine for anything other than drum patterns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

How the notes in a Maschine Pattern are translated to MIDI depends on the mapping you choose. A Group can be configured to either send the notes of all Sounds (Pads) on different pitches on the same MIDI channel (drum mode) thus destroying any pitch information in the Pattern, or the preserve the pitches and send the Sounds (Pads) on different MIDI channels (1-16) thus making it impossible to distinguish Groups by channel. The reason for this is that Maschine has one more dimension (Notes, Sounds, Groups) than MIDI (Notes, Channels) and must map the information when exporting.

The setting is under:

GROUP -> MIDI -> ROUTINGS -> Key Mode

You seem to have used drum mode for both your drums and your bass lines.

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Maybe you're using a different time signature in Maschine than Logic?

Feel free to post some screenshots or video recording so we can have a better overview of the issue.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Also can you pls check if you've selected the correct octave range for the pads in MIDI Mode?

• jgraham12345
    jgraham12345 Member Posts: 9 Member

The time signature is the same in both Maschine and Logic. I don't believe that is the issue. I've tried switching into midi mode and changing the octaves, then switching back to standard and dragging and dropping the midi, still no luck. I'm at a loss here. Not sure why the drums sound fine but its not dragging the appropriate bass notes over.

• ozon
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

How the notes in a Maschine Pattern are translated to MIDI depends on the mapping you choose. A Group can be configured to either send the notes of all Sounds (Pads) on different pitches on the same MIDI channel (drum mode) thus destroying any pitch information in the Pattern, or the preserve the pitches and send the Sounds (Pads) on different MIDI channels (1-16) thus making it impossible to distinguish Groups by channel. The reason for this is that Maschine has one more dimension (Notes, Sounds, Groups) than MIDI (Notes, Channels) and must map the information when exporting.

The setting is under:

GROUP -> MIDI -> ROUTINGS -> Key Mode

You seem to have used drum mode for both your drums and your bass lines.

• ozon

From the Maschine Software manual:

Key Mode

Enables the MIDI note input for the selected Group (disabled by default). Please refer to your host documentation to find out how to route MIDI signals to your MASCHINE plug-in.

Key Mode offers the following options:

Off: Select this option to disable MIDI note input for the selected

Group.

Drumkit: Select this option to conveniently configure the MIDI note input for the selected Group and place each Sound on a specific key chromatically across the keyboard starting from C2 upwards.

If nothing is loaded on a Sound nothing can be triggered, and if you use a Native Instruments KOMPLETE KONTROL S-series keyboard the Light Guide will remain white to indicate that nothing loaded. Additionally, KOMPLETE KONTROL S-series keyboards have a dedicated KEY MODE button to quickly active the Drumkit option for the selected Group in MASCHINE.

By selecting Drumkit you also affect how MIDI is exported from MASCHINE to another host sequencer when using the MIDI dragger in the Pattern editor, for more information on the how to drag and drop MIDI from your Patterns to your desktop or host software please read: ↑10.6, Importing/Exporting Audio and MIDI to/from Patterns.

Manual: This option allows you to configure the MIDI note input based on your own preferences, including the Source, Channel, Start Note and Thru settings.